I Need Some Advice

cornfestival

Ok, I have never been in this position before, but yesterday I received a phone call out of the blue from a hospital in my area wanting to "open the lines of communication" with me about the Senior Network Administrator position that will soon be open. Naturally I told them I would listen so I have a meeting set up for early next week to talk with the HR director and the CEO.

I believe I should treat this like a regular job interview but is there any thing else I should be prepared for? Are there any red flags I should watch for? Any other words of wisdom would be helpful.

I really am taken back by this whole deal and don't want to walk into the meeting with the equivalent of my fly down. (I will check that before I walk in the door.)

Thanks!

Congratulations!

You're probably right to treat it like any other interview, except for a couple of things: They came to you... and you don't need a job! Given that, you are going in in a position of power. Don't flaunt it though. Just have the attitude that you're willing to hear what they have to say and see what they have to offer. If they make you an offer you can't refuse, you'll know it.

Be prepared to tell them what strengths you'll bring to the position. And if at all possible, find out as much as you can about the direction they want to go in (growth, downsizing, specialization, profit, whatever) and, if it's a good fit for you, let them know how you can help get them there. Go online and find out as much as you can about their management, goals, plans, etc. and talk about them and what your role would be in relation to them. They'll be impressed that you did your research.

And by all means, check your fly twice!

Good luck!!!

Make sure up front that the employer pays fees for the headhunter. Some of them take a percentage of your salary for a period of time. If the hospital wants someone enough to pay for a headhunter then fine - if not then I'd stay away.

You're welcome. My brother-in-law is a head hunter and I've been around it a lot. It might also be helpful to know how and why the headhunter called you. If he asked around for someone with certain skills and experience, then you know exactly what the hospital said they are looking for and you know that you came to his attention (and thus to the attention of the interviewer) highly recommended. You can emphasize the exact skills and experience they are looking for in your interview. If he got your name out of the yellow pages, then you know two things: the hospital was not at all specific in what they're looking for and your headhunter doesn't have very good contacts. Was he calling you specifically; or was he calling every network administrator in the city? Make sure you have another conversation with the headhunter and ask very specific questions to determine what the job is, what they are looking for in an employee, and whether or not they are specifically interested in you already. If the hospital isn't clear about their needs, you need to research the company and help them define them.

It is important that you reveal your strengths, but equally important that you show interest in the company and in being a team player.

Let us know how it goes...

Update - I had my meeting with the HR Director and CFO for the hospital. It lasted for 2 and a half hours. I was very impressed with the system in place and with the hospital in general. After about 2 hours we began to talk salary. They know what I make currently and are putting together a complete compensation package for me to consider. Basically, they want me and the ball is now in my court.

Hmm, I still the ball is still at there court because they didn't make you a salary offer yet, did they.

And as you say you're feeling fine at your current job I asume they will make it more tempting.

Await the offer, ask for a bit more and then decide ;)

I assume there first offer won't be there final one but maybe virtual can comment on that based on brothers experience.

But it must feel nice to be wanted B)

Good luck with further negotiations!