Remote Desktop

mike

Hey gang, how are ya'lll?

Rock Sign

I am wondering if any of you have ever used remote desktop in xp home?

Is it possible to use it like you would say pcanwhere to work on a clients pc from my pc??

thanks in advance. ;)

XP Home has the remote desktop client, but not server. You need XP Professional to run the remote desktop server (Win 2000 and 2003 also have RD server).

I have RealVNC (free) installed on my parent's XP Home computer and it works well when you can't run RD server (due to the machine being XP Home).

The nice thing about both, is VNC has clients for pretty much all platforms (and servers in most cases), and Remote Desktop also has clients for many platforms, including rdesktop for *nix, and even a Microsoft provided remote desktop client for Mac OS X that I use pretty extensively.

I usually find Remote Desktop to perform slightly better over VNC, though, so if you have the option of Remote Desktop, I'd generally recommend that first.

XP Home also has a remote assistance option, but I haven't really messed with that... primarily because both ends have to be Windows, but I understand that can provide some level of remote access as well.

thanks mike. i will look into that.

• 1 year later...
XP Home has the remote desktop client, but not server. You need XP Professional to run the remote desktop server (Win 2000 and 2003 also have RD server).

I have RealVNC (free) installed on my parent's XP Home computer and it works well when you can't run RD server (due to the machine being XP Home).

The nice thing about both, is VNC has clients for pretty much all platforms (and servers in most cases), and Remote Desktop also has clients for many platforms, including rdesktop for *nix, and even a Microsoft provided remote desktop client for Mac OS X that I use pretty extensively.

I usually find Remote Desktop to perform slightly better over VNC, though, so if you have the option of Remote Desktop, I'd generally recommend that first.

XP Home also has a remote assistance option, but I haven't really messed with that... primarily because both ends have to be Windows, but I understand that can provide some level of remote access as well.

I want to run vnc in a mac-to-mac configuration. Can you tell me which of the editions on this page I should download?

Thanks!

None of those will work for you but they do have beta versions for the mac.

The scenario I’m addressing is that I’m trying to support my 83 year-old mother-in-law’s new computer, and since she lives 3000 miles away I can’t get in front of her box to install the vnc server software, and I don’t think she’ll be able to do it via my instructions (once I figure out the process); so I’m looking for the easiest solution which would be for me, at this point:

Using ‘Remote Assistance” on my WinXP Pro system and connecting to her iMAC via Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 Client.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Depending on your settings, you may have issues with addressable ip addresses. Another alternative, although I don't know how expensive it is, may be gotomypc which they have been advertising the heck out of on satellite radio.

RealVNC is a doddle to use.

JimE

In the meantime ... I just installed Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac on my os10.4 box and want to connect to my WinXP laptop. I ran ipconfig on the WinXP box and then added the "IP Address" to the Mac RDC, hit Connect and got the message: "the client could not connect to the remote computer.

I then went to Mac RDC > Options and added the User name and Password for the WinXP box, but still couldn't connect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

are you connecting behind a router? I think there are IP address implications for connecting to a computer via Remote Desktop if your IP address is being masked by your router.

Maybe somebody else can shed some light here?

I'm running zone alarm and still trying to figure out how to add the mac I'm trying to connect from to the trusted zone in Zone Alarm on the pc ... any suggestions!

Thanks!

strange, I ran www.whatismyip.com on my mac and my pc to see the ip addresses and they're the same :) How can that be?

They will be the same, as you are sharing a single connection to the internet - and it is reporting back the IP address of that connection.

If you open a dos box on windows, and type "ipconfig" it will tell you the IP address on your internal network.

I'm trying to get 'some' remote desktop client to connect my IntellMac to WinXP Pro. It seems that the Microsoft RDC client is not updated for IntellMac, and after visiting the help forums at SourceForge > Chicken of the VNC (CothVNC), it's somewhat ht and miss with Macs

As a (to date) unsuccessful newcomer to the virtual networking realm I was hoping to get some feedback on these questions:

1. Using a DSL connection to the internet, can I use CotVNC client on an IntellMac to access a WinXP Pro SP2 that's setup for remote access?

2. Since I'm not using a router do I have to do anything regarding setting port options? If so, where is that done?

3. I'm using Zone Alarm on the WindowsXP box, are there any additions I need to make to the 'trusted' zone to enable the connection to take place?

I'm very fascinated by this networking function and would like to get it to work.

Thanks for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to get 'some' remote desktop client to connect my IntellMac to WinXP Pro. It seems that the Microsoft RDC client is not updated for IntellMac, and after visiting the help forums at SourceForge > Chicken of the VNC (CothVNC), it's somewhat ht and miss with Macs

As a (to date) unsuccessful newcomer to the virtual networking realm I was hoping to get some feedback on these questions:

1. Using a DSL connection to the internet, can I use CotVNC client on an IntellMac to access a WinXP Pro SP2 that's setup for remote access?

2. Since I'm not using a router do I have to do anything regarding setting port options? If so, where is that done?

3. I'm using Zone Alarm on the WindowsXP box, are there any additions I need to make to the 'trusted' zone to enable the connection to take place?

I'm very fascinated by this networking function and would like to get it to work.

Thanks for your feedback!

I got Remote Desktop Client for Mac to connect to my WinXP box with Zone Alarm (free version) turned off. How do I manually configure Zone Alarm to allow the RDC to access port 3389?

Thanks!

Does the free version of Zone Alarm allow you to set up expert rules? I have Zone Alarm pro, and in its control panel, I select the Firewall, and then I set up an expert rule. There, I specified a source (the IP address of the other computer), and the port to open up, 3389.