Nicholas Naime

What OS are you using?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What OS are you using?

• Mac OS
    • *nix
    • MS Windows

At work its Win2000 and UNIX.

At home...lets see... 3 desktops with XP and one with ME currently running on the network. In the back room I have several desktop and laptops in various states but can and do get plugged in and used if the need arrises. They have Win NT, Win 98, Win95, Win 3.1, and Win 3.0 and finally a true DOS 5.0 on an XT (if you remember those).

I've got files and boxes filled with all versions of Windows, IBM and MS DOS, and a couple packages of OS2.

I use Linux (Fedora Core 2) and sometimes, just to play a game, Windows XP.

I think I would be an OS X user if I'd have a Mac but right now I need Linux and a PC because of college and I can't afford a second computer system :\ Which means that if someone wants to offer me a PowerMac, one of those new iMacs or a 17" PowerBook, be my guest ;) B)

Edited by TCH-Raul

My primary (personal) system is a dual-boot Linux/XPPro that is 90% in Linux. I boot into Window for games and weekly (mandatory) XP patching.

My daughter's system is Win98SE. Her browser is Firefox, and there is no censorware installed on her system. (But that is another rant.)

My work system is a Win2K laptop. I want to lock it down better than what it is, but all my (formal) suggestions have been shot down by my employer's IT department. But they allow toolbars and other 'addons' to be installed. So I've installed Ad-Aware, S&D, Firefox, and Google Toolbar. (But that is also another rant.)

What is so great about a Mac?...

People really come to love :heart their Mac computers. Nobody says that about a Windows machine. :dance:

I would like to believe many of the "loving" people

live by themselves with no pets or anything,

and are forced to love the computer,

and so it's not really their fault.

Hmmm, I love my PC

and every one knows I have and love pets :hug:

And My wife loves our PC and our pets :hug:

;)

well as for Macs and Windows i have to say win is for me but i have never got my hands on a mac so i guess i cant decide fare

i have 3 systems

1 Win XP Home B)

1 windows 2003 server edtion :)

1 win98 <_<

thinking about getting linix to try out. i think it's free if you get it from the net

HEY! now that i mentioed my server does TCH sell IP address i need a Internet ip for it i only use it on my lan with lan IP's :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

My experience is mainly Windows based server/workstations and Novell 3.11 and currently upgrading yet again over the years to 6.5

As novell is naff to have at home I use Windows 2000 Server & ISA to provide security( :D ) for Net connectivity and firewall for a number of PC's used by my family (Yes im back at my Mums Groan dont ask)

Im currently learning Mandrake which is easy to network etc i find it hard for learning databases as a lot of Nix peeps on sites seem to prefer to keep their knowledge to themselves

I am really basic at apache and not bad at sendmail..the trouble is all this needs learning in a proper workplace with actual enviroments where things can be implemented to properly learn to implement these things i reckon

Thats why i prefer the dumb approach as the things you can learn are endless by just watching with a keen eye and taking note of eveything you are being shown. I recently started a new job which is mainly windows and Novell servers but they have a web section with linux

even with the windows/novell systems you have to re-learn all over again as thr set up is different but im also taking note of the linux procedures/configs

Take my forum database that needed restoring...you lot did it quicker than i can eat my tea

err me err ive managed to isolate and restore my users from the backup :P to my own server

err that took me 2 weeks lolololol..well i gotta learn somewhere

Ive also just noticed the length of this post..sorry i blah blahed on but you know what i mean

Fave OS

Windows 2000

Alan

All of my systems are dual booted with 98se apart from a few

well rocket killing my mates is great afer a a couple of beers lololol :)

its law you have 2 do it

Q3 UT4 Its gotta be done

i wouldnt be normal therwise lol

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have 3 systems that I use quite frequently. each for specific purposes.

Mainly I use the Debian Linux system and Windows XP systems

Since I started dabling with this web stuff.... (cough cough) I have found many useful pieces of software for both systems

such as GIMP for graphics on my Linux machine....now also have it on my WinXP machine

HTML editor on Windows, I have not found anything I like yet on the linux side but I will soon I am sure

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've tried every flavor of windows except windows 2000. Got several running now. I do have a linux machine, but haven't used it for a few years since I discovered some dos utils that do part of the same thing linux does. I still miss one of the apps I ran on linux, but the machine was old, and I don't have a faster one to spare right now.