Password Protected Subdirectories

tmboyer

Dear Lianna,

Is there any wayby which I can "selectively" password protect some folders? I mean, if I password protect the folder www.mysite.com/images supossedly no body can't access the folder's content... but even the web site can't access the folder to show the images where they must show!

Then, when someone try to enter the site... the protection will ask for the password to show the images...

I need to protect the outsider access to the folder content; not the internal access (or the access of the page to show the images.

The idea is to not allow someone to enter to all the content of the folder... (I know that this "someone" still can copy the images one by one... but why to make his/her life easy?

Then I have another question... is there any way by which will be possible to password protect several folders at once and not one by one...? (Maybe this s a question for the Cpanel productors... :blink: )

Cordially,

g. :huh:

George,

I think what you are looking for is the Index Manager in cPanel instead of Web Protect. The Index Manager will allow you to turn off and on the directory listing feature for a directory that does not have an index.htm(l) file.

There is no way to apply the WebProtect or Index Manager features to multiple directories at once. You are correct that this would be a suggestion made to the cPanel producers, not TCH.

Hope that helps.

Lianna

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the web protect. If protect a folder and a web page calls a file from that folder, should it prompt the user for a login and pass? I am thinking of using this a "login" for a website that I have until I can learn how to do it with PHP and MYSQL?

I have a question about the web protect. If protect a folder and a web page calls a file from that folder, should it prompt the user for a login and pass? I am thinking of using this a "login" for a website that I have until I can learn how to do it with PHP and MYSQL?

yes. webprotect is actually htaccess login/password protection. if webprotect can't provide you with the features you are looking for, you can search the internet for more info on manually editing the htaccess file.

(it will pop up a box and ask u for username/password)