I Want Ftp Dirs, Not Under /public_html

I don't want anyone to access my FTP account via web browser. That appears to be the case when I use the CPanel defaults. It creates ftp user directories under the /home/abc.com/public_html directory.

I want to create an account that is private and is located in /home/abc.com/ftp/Account1, account2, account3.

I don't see anything listed in the cpanel docs as to how I can point my ftp account creation to another path other than /home/abc.com/public_html. Is there I file I can edit in cpanel to change the default location.

If there are some docs that outline this, please point me there. Please don't tell me I have to create a subdomain and then create accounts off that subdomain.

Just want to have an ftp directory that has users directories off that. Each user is limited to only his directory. Also, nobody can access it via web browser with http.

thanks

Hi,

Ok you have a few problems here.

If you have IE and have FTP option switched on, you will always be able to access the ftp directory using the web browser. This can not be stopped as it essientally uses the same technology that any other FTP program uses.

Also I dont think you can change the default address as in CPANEL its listed as the "main account"

You can do it so you add a folder name to the FTP login and then it will goto the folder each time that is specififed

To limit the users, i suggest you password each folder which will at least stop them looking in others folder. Although I think you can still navigate higher up the tree.

Jim

Intrestingly, you might be able to do this:

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cp/webProtectDi...Directories.htm

This allows you password a folder, and then you can add users to them with specific passwords.

Also Head Guru states the same thing in this post:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...f=21&t=1303&hl=

Jim

yep, I saw how to webprotect the dir.

But I don't want 10 users name and ftp DIRs open for all the public to see.

There has got to be a way to change the default in Cpanel.

Other solution I can thing of is to block access by using Linux file and directory security. Have the dirs where only myself and user can access the dirs.

How are the dirs available for viewing? Turn off indexing.

I don't think I'm getting why there is an issue. Can you give me a step-by-step to show me what you are seeing?

Lianna

I guess I want to have control of where under /home/domainname I can put my ftp directories. Having the default to /home/domainname/public_html is not that flexiable.

Just create a ftp user and Cpanel will by default put the ftp directory in /home/abc.com/public_html. it is accessable by all users on the html side, unless it is locked with the webprotect option. B)

You guys have hard-coded /home/abc.com/public_html into the path of Cpanels ftp path. There is no method to change it to /home/abc.com/ftp

I didn't want to turn off indexing, but that seems to be the only solution.

thanks

I don't want anyone to access my FTP account via web browser. That appears to be the case when I use the CPanel defaults. It creates ftp user directories under the /home/abc.com/public_html directory.

I want to create an account that is private and is located in /home/abc.com/ftp/Account1, account2, account3.

I don't see anything listed in the cpanel docs as to how I can point my ftp account creation to another path other than /home/abc.com/public_html. Is there I file I can edit in cpanel to change the default location.

If there are some docs that outline this, please point me there. Please don't tell me I have to create a subdomain and then create accounts off that subdomain.

Just want to have an ftp directory that has users directories off that. Each user is limited to only his directory. Also, nobody can access it via web browser with http.

thanks

oh, FYI, you can't disable indexing on the /public_html directory. B)

There is no way to "hide" what directories are created under /public_html.

It also isn't possible to put a FTP directory off the root of /public_html/ftp. Then put accounts under the ftp directory.. /public_html/ftp/User1, /public_html/ftp/User2.

Not possible to do any of this. All ftp accounts default off the "root" of /public_html.

Suggestions?

nope, I have no such box

===My CPanel 6 FTP create Account Optons

Add Ftp Account

Login:

Password:

Directory: /home/abc/public_html/

Create Clear

=============

After the abc/public_html/ that is the only place i have to specify the directory. I can not imbed anything. and by default, the account name is automatically inserted after the public_html/

As for the disabling of indexing of /public_html, it isn't possible via Cpanel, so for most users, it isn't possible. B)

What you should be able to do is:

I) Create a subdomain, eg. usersftp.****

II) Turn OFF indexing of this subdomain

III) Give the User a folder in the subdomain

IV) Web protect and turn off indexing for each one of these folders.

That should do the trick, they should not be able to navigate higher then the original folder and hence, only see there own folder

JIm

Whew!!!

yep, doing all those steps does accomplish it. :blink:

thanks for the help. :huh:

a reminder to all who want to do this. In Cpanel when creating the users account under the subdomain, ie abcftp. Make sure you do the following to the path:

/public_html/abcftp/username

if you don't, the the user has full access to the abcftp directory.