* If you have an Adsense account

o Your full name, address and bank account details

o The IP address of everyone who visits your pages with Adsense ads on them

o The number of visitors to each of your pages with Adsense ads on them

* If you use a GMail account

o Who you send emails to

o Who sends emails to you

o The contents of those emails

o The contents of all emails received from any mailing lists of which you are a member, even if they are private mailing lists.

* Even if you don't use a GMail account

o The contents of any emails you send to anyone who does use a GMail account

o The contents of any emails you send to any mailing lists of which any one member uses a GMail account

* If you're a member of Orkut

o Your online social network, interests and groups

woooot

Oh Rob, everybody knows that! woooot

I saw it just the other day when I googled "insanity". Your picture came up and everything! :ph34r:

Yeah, so? ;)

Your local grocery probably knows, if you shop like I do:

Generally the number and types of people in your home -

do you buy baby food? Razor blades? Men's cologne/aftershave or girly-stuff

Do you drink wine? Beer? Smoke?

Have any pets?

What kind?

Have a bug problem?

Have flourescent or incandescent lighting (or both)?

Prepare for hurricanes or wait until the last minute? :)

(Nevermind if they process your photos!)

*If you use a debit/credit card:

Your name and bank account info

*If you use a check cashing card:

Your address

Your employer

Your bank account info

And while I'm at it, why do I pay my car registration to Danise Rodriguez instead of the Monroe County Tax Office?

Oh, and what about my cell phone not working in the store? It works in other buildings! Is it monitoring equipment that's messing with the signal?

(Seriously, have you ever driven around with a wireless laptop? I found 3 different wireless networks outside the same 15 foot section of an Albertsons! Note: I did NOT connect to it, just detected it.)

Your point is well made about Google, but I'd submit that we are way more screwed from a privacy perspective than we can imagine... it's going to take a big-bad for us to realize it. The national ID card with the little computer chip you can store your life story on scares me a lot more than Google does. The government has the resources to process that data, I'm not sure Google has the computing power to actually make sense of it.

It's a good post though because many people don't realize where we stand on these things. They grew up accepting computer files and automated thingamajizits as normal so they may not be as paranoid as a guy from the hills of Kentucky growing up during the cold war and watching Wargames and 2001 while they were still just science fiction. But then again, is it paranoia when there's something real to be concerned about? B)

The Govt knows more about me than I do, after being in the military and then the FBI application I am sure there is nothing private about my life. Google nor my grocery store has nothing on my govt file I am sure.

Rob...now THAT scares me!!! Try 20 years in the Air Force (Special Ops) and now working for another government agency! B)

Maybe I'd be better off as :) !

Thomas,

You know the fifth right? As in the fifth amendment? To "plead the Fifth" or to "take the Fifth" is to refuse to answer a question because the response could form incriminating evidence.

I dont expect you to know because it is a part of the U.S. Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

Just making sure you understand my phrase.

Oh ok. Now I understand. Thanks Rob ;)

No, I cant say I know the U.S. Constitution and your Bill of Rights for natural reasons.

I read your answer as you ment number five in that list which is:

Your full name, address and bank account details

The thought that popped up in my head was, "how can they know if I shop on amazon for instance, does everyone have to report to them?".

Addition: Sweden has a similar thing to your fifth. :)

I dont know what its called so I cant plead it though. :(

Edited by Jikrantz

As a former state and municipal employee, plus receiving a partial police pension from my late husband, the government pretty much knows anything they want to know about me - even the brand of toilet paper I use. :P

The national ID card scares the shorts off of me - they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into that one. I'm pretty unhappy about all-electronic medical records as a matter of fact. Information electronically available is information available for sale and misuse - no thank you. It's a slippery slope toward totally eliminating the patient's right to privacy.

I'm pretty unhappy about all-electronic medical records as a matter of fact. Information electronically available is information available for sale and misuse - no thank you. It's a slippery slope toward totally eliminating the patient's right to privacy

I am not worried about having that electronic since with the wrong guys it can be sold, paper, cd, written in stone, electronic...anything.

What is scary in my opinion though is, what if it gets virus and spread around the internet etc?

Here's a thought for you about electronic versus paper...

I read a report today that was very interesting. It seems there was a post office computer that someone loaded Kazaa on and shared the C: drive. This report was a cleaned up list of all the reprimands made against postal workers for long breaks or refusing orders or whatever. The poster was nice enough to remove the SSN and Names from the report but it was available to millions in "raw" form.

At least on paper they have to try harder for it! :ph34r:

This thread reminds me of the move "The Net" with Sandra Bullock. That was the first movie that I walked out of the theater really thinking about what I saw. Even though the majority of it was Hollywood fantasy, the basics of it made me stop and think what could happen!

Seriously! I wonder what "they" can really do to one of us if they had reason to. Could "they" really make us disappear or is our data still so decentralized it's not *yet* a possibility. I'll bet the national id nonsense would make it easier! :ph34r: