Photos For Website

Deverill

I'm looking for a more professional look to my client's websites. I'd like to incorporate photos into the banners as that can make a really clean and sharp professional image.

Does anyone know of a good source of affordable photos? I found a link to Comstock and Thinkstock but those guys want $70 per photo or a membership in the hundreds! No way I'm gonna do that... I'll go out with my digital camera and get something before doing that - although they do have some good looking photos.

Anyway, anyone know of a budget photo source that's royalty free and non-copyrighted? Thanks.

Jim, I never used that kind of service but I found these websites that look good:

stockedphotos.com (with one of those "nice" templates from templatemonster, that you see all over the web, these days :blink:)

www.topphotos.net/resources.html

www.fotosearch.com

www.inmagine.com

www.freeimages.com

Also, this Google search for "royalty free web photos" may be of interest.

or maybe just do an image search for what you're looking for... Once you find an image you like, you can always ask for permission to use it. I get requests like that on occasion. Many photogrpahers will be happy to let you use their images in return for a credit, and perhaps a link. The exposure is good for them and it's something to put on a resume...

Jim -

FrontPage used to come with a healthy collection of photographic .jpg files - at least 97 did. Those are all royalty free and cover a broad range of subjects. As I recollect, PhotoShop used to have a decent collection of stock images as well. I've used a few, but I'm not a commercial site if that matters.

I agree, many budding photographers would be happy with a photo credit. Is there a community college in your area? Most of them have a photography program. I'm redoing my website (slowly but surely) to include a lot more of my images and you'd certainly be welcome to any of mine that'd be useful. I'm thinking I may even scan some of my b&w from my student days just for the fun of it. I love digital imagery, but there's still something magical about spending the day in a darkroom, especially with infrared film. :blink:

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I did Google it but all I found after about 1.5 hours were sites that had a couple of crappy photos and then the $60 per pages with the good stuff. I'll take a look at all those other sites (and FP) you mentioned asap and again, thanks.

You might also try a few sites I have used:

www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml Some are free public domain images, and many look like they should be in national geographic! (For example, take a look a the Yellowstone section: www.nps.gov/yell/press/images/)

h**p://gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/

h**p://www.freeimages.co.uk/

Corel software (like the office suites) also comes with stock photos.

-Samantha