Easy To Use Photo Album Software

MikeJ

I bought my parents a computer a couple years ago (it runs Windows XP) and my mom later got a Canon digital camera. I installed the Canon software that comes with the camera which isn't bad in functionality, but really isn't very good for a non-computer savvy person to use (my mom has a lot of problems trying to use it).

I'll be back in Michigan in a couple weeks for her birthday and I want to get her something easier to use. Since I don't use Windows myself really, I'm looking for suggestions on good photo management software for Windows XP. Key functionality is easy to use (very important), photo album management, picture rotation, printing, and if it has an way to easily resize and send pictures in email that would be a bonus. The more point and click the better.

So anyone have suggestions?

Btw, free or paid options are acceptable.

Edited by TCH-MikeJ

As you know, I don't use Windows much, either but my dad does and he's fanatic about photography ;)

He does not have difficulties with computers but I don't think the program he uses is a difficult one to use, either. Nikon Editor

It's a program that comes with any newer Nikon digital camera. They have a few programs, like Nikon View, Nikon Capture and Nikon Editor. I'm not sure if Nikon Editor is part of Nikon View, my dad says it is but I think you can get it separately.

ACDSee gets my vote.

I know its up to version 6.x now which I hate. (See post here)

But I use 5.0 which is nice and does all above except for one thing and that is that it has problem sorting 1, 2, 3... which I mention in software post.

So if you can get your hands on 5.x, your mom will be happy.

And finally... Happy Birthday Mikes mom ;)

Hi Mike,

Have you looked at JAlbum?

h**p://jalbum.net/index.jsp

To borrow a quote from the developer's web site: "JAlbum needs at least v1.3 of Suns Java runtime (or equivalent) to run."

Other than that, it performs on various operating systems, i.e., Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

Stefan

Our shelter uses

KODAK EASYSHARE Software

it seems to be easy for everyone there to use it.

from the download page

System Requirements

Windows

Requires WINDOWS 98, 98SE, Millennium Edition, 2000 with Service Pack 1, or XP

Download size (typical): 24 MB

Download time (typical):

Dial-up (33.6Kbps): 65 minutes.

Cable/DSL (1.0 Mbps): 5 minutes

-  Download Now!

Note: Membership is required. You will be prompted to Join/Login.

I will agree that both ACDSee and Kodak are excellent and easy to use! I also heard that Adobe makes a package for beginner users that also uses a simplified version of photoshop for easy and quick editing for a beginner!

Let me know what you decide upon... as we all have family members that are computer challenged and would love feedback on simple to use software!

pfeffer5308

I've used Picassa for a couple of years having received it with a camera I bought a few years back. I even purchased it for my daughter a couple of months ago. Google has just bought the program and offers it for free. It is very easy to use and is pretty nice. I like the timeline view that will show all the pictures on your hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll definitely have to check a couple of them out.

Just to clarify for a couple people, I'm not looking for web album publishing software (that's too advanced for my mother at this point... maybe in another year or two :dance: ). I'm looking strictly for being able to manage the photos on the PC primarily just to browse, print, and email them as needed.