Bulletin Board Script Question

skeptismo

Hi to all,

I installed the CGI Bulletin Board script in my account, and ty to navigate through the forums.

When writing in Wnglish, everything is fine. When trying to write in my local language (Greek) lthough I can write, I then cannot view my entries but only if I change my default Encoding page in Mozilla

(from default Western-ISO-8859-1 to Greek ISO-8895-7)

Although I've changed the default character encoding in Mozilla Preferences, the page still doesn't shows correctly and I have to change the Character Encoding every time I want to vie the forum "correctly" (by "correctly I mean to view Greek characters)

The same happens with Firefox, and IE :unsure:

Any idea how to fix this ??

Is this a forum config issue or a Mozilla configuration ??

Thanks ,

Panayiotis

Panayiotis, I have had some issues with character encoding in the past myself but I never figured out what was wrong.

The server is sending you the page contents encoded in ISO-8859-1, that's how it is configured, unless a script changes the default encoding. If your browser understands that encoding, you should be fine. And when you post a message, you're sending information to the server so your browser will need to tell the server which character encoding it is using, so the server knows how to handle the characters.

You seem to have everything set up just fine, so I'm not sure what this could be. Perhaps the forum software is not able to use character sets other than ISO-8859-1? Or maybe the server is the one that can't handle those? This is the part I never figured out when I had a similar problem.

I'm sorry I can't help you more but I have moved your post to a more appropriate forum, so more people with the knowledge will look at it and perhaps someone will know the answer.

Never mind Raul, (thanks for the answer though)

propably the issue is that server only accepts ISO8859-1.

The "problem" still remains, so I can not see right my encodings, and so I have to change manually from my browser the encoding before adding/reading a forum that is not writter in English ! :)

Anyone else (outside US-England,) has the same problem here ??

Thanks,

Panayiotis