Uk Newby Here

chagle

Hello there,

I'm currently with a UK Company who I have a hosting account with. (Although the servers are in the US - I'm in the UK) - However getting a bit upset with them, therefore looking elsewhere.

I was going to try and go with a UK based Company - but, hey... the internet is global and it's a big world! ;-)

So I have been looking at WebHostingTalk forums and came across TCH. Then I found this forum - Hey, it's great! People seem happy and pleased with the service.

A couple of questions;

1. Do TCH block ANY attachments? I often send .exe and .wav's etc. plus other attachments - my current providor blocks then.. I would like to be the one that decides what and what I shouldn't receive. Obviously if there is a virus and a virus scan is done at server level, then of course that's fine.

2. Do you have Fantastico on your cPanel?

3. What version of cPanel do you/they use?

4. Can I just update my DNS on my .co.uk domain to point to TCH?

Um, that's it for now. ;-)

GLen

Hi Glen and welcome. We have many folks from the UK here so I'm sure you'd have no problems with your site. We even have some techy guys from there so the time zone issue is not an issue usually.

I'll answer the questions I know:

2. We do not have fantastico.

3. We are currently on Cpanel Version/Build 9.4.1-STABLE Build 65 on my server and I think they are all kept the same.

4. Yes, just point your DNS (nameservers) to TCH and they'll get the visitor to your site.

Now for the unsure:

1. I don't think any extensions are blocked.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to fill in the gaps. Best wishes in finding a host and we will look forward to welcoming you as part of our family here if you choose TCH!

Hmm, never realise TCH blocked exe files, although it does make sense, (even Outlook Express blocks exe's!!) but remember its not hard to zip the exe up before you send it.

Where abouts in the UK are you Glen? I'm from sunny Scotland!!

Hope you make the right choice and choose TCH!!

James

Hi to all,

a question about blocked email attachments.

Do you have any way of disable this option in TCH Starter or Silver Plan ?

(or is it by default on, and cannot do anything about it ?)

Sure it is good to block some attachments, but in some situations I've found it more convenient to send/receive plain .exe files

May seem "dummy" to someone, but there are some people totally irrelevant to simple software such us Winzip or Winrar, and it's much easier for them to install a simple client mail program and "read" mail / open attachments on the fly.

Or even simple to open webmail and do their jobs (no pain at all ...)

Is there ANY way of overcome the block attachments ?

And another question (while I'm here ..)

do TCH will host a site about internet security programs and countermeasures ?

This site will host some programs for educational use only about hacker/crackers more of them is outdated (for historical use, like SubSeven etc).

Thanks anyway,

Panayiotis

The attachment blocking is enabled server wide. It can't be customized at the account or domain level. Quite frankly, it's good to teach end users to use zip because a lot of mail providers block the same attachments (particularly .exe's).

As far as a security site is concerned, discussions about security (as long as they are focused on how to increase security, not compromise security) and tools used to strengthen security are fine. However, TCH's Acceptable Use Policy strictly forbids hosting tools used to compromise security.

You may not attempt to circumvent user authentication or security of any host, network or account ("cracking"). This includes, but is not limited to, accessing data not intended for you, logging into or making use of a server or account you are not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security of other Hosting. Use or distribution of tools designed for compromising security is prohibited. Examples of these tools include, but are not limited to, password guessing programs, cracking tools or network probing tools.

You may not host within your account files used to hack, crack, decode or generate keys.

• 4 weeks later...

If I need to send an .exe attachment and don't feel like messing with winzip, I just change the file extension to .doc and change it back once it's gone through...faster and just as effective...

Shana