Is Movable Type Suitable For Newbies?

schmuck

Read some posts here and it seems to me that MT is a great application for publishing personal journals or diary :)

But I want to know if MT is suitable or manageable for people (like me) who know nothing about programming, CGI scripts or PERL. To be specific, does the installation process require a lot of manual process and editing? Is administration of the program web-based and user-friendly?

You know, phpBB is still a rather easy program to install and manage for computer "idiots"......so can anybody compare these two programs on ease of installation and management?

I'd say they both have the same level of difficulty regarding instalation.

As for using them.... I don't know for sure, since I only used MT for a few days to give it a try. It seemed a little strange during the first minutes but then it became clear and I found it pretty easy to work with. Perhaps easier than phpBB but then again, it's two completely different pieces of software with different purposes, so I don't think I can compare them just like that :D

But you don't have to learn PERL to use MT.

Give it a try, it's pretty simple to install and it's the only way you'll find if it suits your needs.

Suggestion: don't install the .cgi files in the CGI-BIN directory (read the instalation instructions to know what I'm talking about). Instead put all of the files in the same directory and make the .CGI files executable (chmod 755). It'll save you some trouble.

:) Thanks borfast! I gave a try on it and succeeded on the installation after just a slight struggle with the mt-load.cgi. This thing is quite easy to install on TCH server. :D

MT is very easy to use if the user does not care much about web design and just wants to write some journals for daily update. But if the user wants to configure the layout of the website, knowledge on HTML would then be required......coz it seems that there is not much ready-made templates for use. :D

My problem is that I don't even know HTML. I can largely understand the language by reading the code, but cannot write out the codes from scratch. Perhaps I need to read something like "HTML for Dummies". :D

Sounds pretty ridiculous that a person who doesn't know even the simplest code is trying to play around with phpBB, MT and Gallary......but that's what I'm trying to do :P

I was gonna install moveable type but I gave up and just installed b2 instead. moveable type has to many steps for me and I am a busy guy.

b2 seems to be the same way yours is. You gotta total remake the template cuz they make this premade tempate which nobody would ever even use. I had no problem though because I an write whole webpages in html and have done so. I also have done php layouts as well. Anyways I'm not bragging, just saying if you need help I am willing. :D

My problem is that I don't even know HTML. I can largely understand the language by reading the code, but cannot write out the codes from scratch. Perhaps I need to read something like "HTML for Dummies".  :D

Sounds pretty ridiculous that a person who doesn't know even the simplest code is trying to play around with phpBB, MT and Gallary......but that's what I'm trying to do  :D

Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

I can play with other's code and hack/butcher it a bit. I can sift through it to find glaring and logical errors. But I cannot write it.

Now, I personally don't think it ridiculous at all to be playing around with other web apps. I love playing with new toys. I learn something everyday because of it.

My opinion is that you are not at all ridiculous, but rather full of esteem and confidence! Good for you! :P

Lianna

Twisted, what's that b2 thing you're talking about? I searched google for it but I found nothing that resembles a CMS (Content Management System). Can you point me an URL? Thanks in advance. :D

EDIT: OK, forget it, a second attempt on google brought me my answer: http://cafelog.com/

Thanks anyway :D

TCH has reposted some info on installing Movable Type on our TCH Help Web Site. Go there and click on Third Party Apps, then Movable Type.

If other users have add'l comments, instructions or helpful hints to installing or using MT that could be added to the Help pages, please post them here, or send them to me at by email!

-kw

Now, I personally don't think it ridiculous at all to be playing around with other web apps. I love playing with new toys. I learn something everyday because of it.

My opinion is that you are not at all ridiculous, but rather full of esteem and confidence! Good for you! :D

Thanks for your compliment, Lianna! :D

The very reason why I'm trying all these applications is the same as yours: I like playing with new toys. It's a learning process. :)

I mentioned about the difficulties in creating new templates in MT for those who don't know about programming. I visited the MT support forum and somebody suggested a very nice website which has virtually all the column designs that you want to find:

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials...sson/boxes.html

So what a dummy has to do is to get the design code there and make amendments on colors and minor things like column width and padding perimeters etc.....which should be most basic. :P

Anybody who has good sites regarding MT template designs please post out too! :D

I was gonna install moveable type but I gave up and just installed b2 instead. moveable type has to many steps for me and I am a busy guy.

b2 seems to be the same way yours is. You gotta total remake the template cuz they make this premade tempate which nobody would ever even use. I had no problem though because I an write whole webpages in html and have done so. I also have done php layouts as well. Anyways I'm not bragging, just saying if you need help I am willing. :D

Thanks in advance, Twisted, you're always so kind to help! :D

After browsing through phpNuke and Postnuke websites, it seems that MT is kind of lack of design and template support......there are tonnes of user-designed themes and modules for Postnuke, which can be downloaded and modified for specific user need.

Actually what I want to have is a website starting with a daily journal page, with links to a photo gallary, discussion board, guestbook and misc. things. Postnuke seems to be the perfect solution, since it can integrate with Gallary, phpBB and some other applications. The pre-designed themes currently available can save me from much trouble (I only have around 2.5 months to construct this - a gift to my gf!) :D

Will start learning HTML code and PHP script after spring term exam, god bless! :ph34r:

I wouldn't go for any *nuke thing... both php and post nuke are overbloated and complicated...

Well, that's just my personal opinion, though. As I said earlier, give it a try, it's the only way you'll know if it fits your needs :D

I wouldn't go for any *nuke thing... both php and post nuke are overbloated and complicated...

Well, that's just my personal opinion, though. As I said earlier, give it a try, it's the only way you'll know if it fits your needs :ph34r:

Yeah, the nuke applications are real complicated. I've got Postnuke installed on the server and tried to play around with it. The installation process is very easy (which in comparison MT installation can be painful), but the subsequent management is a headache. Just as when you want to have a 2 column instead of the 3 column layout, some modules are required to mod the default settings. The process is no way easy.

The problem for MT is that it can't smoothly integrate Gallery nor phpBB2. What I mean is that it is very difficult to configure to a way which you can have a static top and left menu that wrap the Gallery or phpBB2. It's rather easy to do this in either phpNuke or Postnuke, since there are modules already available.

There is always a tradeoff for everything.... :D

• 2 weeks later...
After browsing through phpNuke and Postnuke websites, it seems that MT is kind of lack of design and template support......there are tonnes of user-designed themes and modules for Postnuke, which can be downloaded and modified for specific user need.

Actually what I want to have is a website starting with a daily journal page, with links to a photo gallary, discussion board, guestbook and misc. things. Postnuke seems to be the perfect solution, since it can integrate with Gallary, phpBB and some other applications. The pre-designed themes currently available can save me from much trouble (I only have around 2.5 months to construct this - a gift to my gf!) ;)

Will start learning HTML code and PHP script after spring term exam, god bless! :D

I was using phpnuke, and switched to postnuke when they split from phpnuke. They're both have tremendous possibilities, but are slowly killing themselves. phpnuke is closed development, so it's one person working on this monumentally huge program - I found it to be riddled with bugs and problems. postnuke was going strong for over a year and all of a sudden egos exploded and now the development camp has been filled with namecalling and infighting. I dropped using the *nukes all together in favor of MT.

MT is extremely flexable. It's got amazing support, new features are always coming out....

I found that even as I added more and more modules to my journal site, no one used them... personals, discussion boards, horoscopes, galleries, etc... They're tons of 3rd party scripts that you can easily add the MT header to and blammo - integrated into MT. CHeck out reelidentities.org for my gallery-in-MT integration.

my 2 cents.

Vincent

The problem for MT is that it can't smoothly integrate Gallery nor phpBB2. What I mean is that it is very difficult to configure to a way which you can have a static top and left menu that wrap the Gallery or phpBB2. It's rather easy to do this in either phpNuke or Postnuke, since there are modules already available.

Not true, technically.

Check out reelidentities.org for my gallery integration.

Here's how I did it.

I use modules for my header and footer in Movable type, then call them using MTInclude.

Create 2 New Index Templates, I call mine "header for gallery" and "footer for gallery".

In the header index template put your header info (or in my case <$MTInclude module="header"$>) then output this as '/path/to/gallery/html_wrap/wrapper.header

Then, in the footer put your footer info (or in my case <$MTInclude module="footer"$>) then output this as '/path/to/gallery/html_wrap/wrapper.footer

As simple as that. (It really is simple... dispite what that must look like to a MT newbie heheh)

If php nuke or post nuke isn't your thing then try http://e107.org

It is the same program I run for this page http://twistedweb.net/main I like it a lot but I may not keep it for the simple fact that I want to learn more about graphic design not about php or other types of scripts. ;)

But it is pretty nice and has lots of nice features. You can even add galleries to it.

Lots of add ons for it right off their site.