Getting Spammed At Tch-only Email Address

soleros

Well guys, not too thrilled, I'm getting spammed at an email address only assigned to TCH for its correspondence with me. Might want to double-check your security of customer lists. I know it wasn't anyone else; I assign every business I do business with on the 'net an email address that is for its exclusive use.

That's why I get about 3 spam messages a week. Works great...and tells me who needs to button things up a little tighter. - ?

And no it's not because of some virus I got that passed on that address to a spammer. I don't get virii or worms or any of that other malware. I'm on a Mac running OS 9, and I don't play fast and loose with email addresses. :unsure:

So...please have a look at your end. Thanks.

k.

Question - do you have all unrouted mail set to :blackhole:? If not, then any spam directed towards your domain (but not at a valid address) will be forwarded to your main domain address and look like spam. (Mods, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Question - do you have all unrouted mail set to :blackhole:? If not, then any spam directed towards your domain (but not at a valid address) will be forwarded to your main domain address and look like spam. (Mods, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

I had the same problem and followed the directions for doing the blackhole thingy and get no mail now<G> my sites admin and webmistress addy's were spam magnets so I wiped them. :unsure:

No, you're right, Bellringr. If you have a default address set up in cPanel which forwards email to another address then *anything* sent to your domain goes there. A lot of spammers see a domain and start sending junk in hopes it gets through. Web@bubba.com, webmaster@bubba.com, info@bubba.com, etc.

The best thing to do to avoid this is to set up a forwarder from youraddress@****** to wherever you want it to be and then set the default address to :blackhole: to discard all incoming unrouted mail or :fail: no such address here to bounce it. The bounce option may make the spammers take the address off their list and maybe even the whole domain if they don't get lucky and hit your real address.

On one of my sites I had to change everything. I set everything to bounce and then set up addresses like office@**** which are not commonly used. This doesn't look too weird to my visitors but it won't be guessed by 99.9% of the spammers either. If you can, I'd suggest a really uncommon address like "Jim_Sewell@myplace.com" so they can't guess it.

Hope it helps!

I do the same thing that Soleros was saying, and the address I use for TCH is pretty much the only one I NEVER get spam on. It's not on my domain that's hosted here, since using an email hosted at TCH is useless for corresponding with them when there is a problem with your service here.

Anyway, been here almost 2 years now with no spam at that address.