Ftp Delete Uses Bandwidth

Wilexa

Whenever I delete files via my FTP client (I use Transmit for Mac), my cPanel bandwidth is "charged" for the entire file(s) size. Is this normal. Does anyone else see that behavior?

I would assume (I know, I know!) that it wouldn't take much bandwidth to delete a file.

-- Dave

Dave, anything that you access on your domain is counted towards your bandwidth.

Hmm. I thought that bandwidth was when data was transferred between server and client. I had just assumed that deleting a file via FTP did not transfer any data.

--- Dave

I am not familiar with the client you are using, but I'll take a stab here...

Does that FTP client perform the "I'll save you" action and download the file for local archiving before sending the del command to the server?

If so, then you are definitely going to get charged.

Just a thought.

Does that FTP client perform the "I'll save you" action and download the file for local archiving before sending the del command to the server?

I don't think so, but I will have to check. (It hasn't saved me yet! :angry:) If that's the case, then I agree, it would be a data transfer.

Most of the files in question are big... 6 to 16MB, so it's easy to spot 'em on the daily bandwidth table. I happened to notice it yesterday because I deleted about 200MB of files without uploading of downloading anything. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen the same thing.

--- Dave