Throwing Out The Trash

Hello,

I've been remiss in throwing out the trash in my SquirlMail trashfolder, and now have several thousand pieces to throw away. I'm not seeing how to select multiple messages -- without clicking them one at a time. Is there a way to do this?

For example: with Outlook, Click + Shift selects whole blocks.

Also, is there a key command to use (like Shift/Delete) that will do a permanent delete, bypassing the Trash folder?

Thanks for your cleaning tips!

I agree with Rob. An IMAP connection allows you to change things directly on your mail account, while using an interface of your choice (in your case, Outlook - and I'll take this chance to recommend you switch to Mozilla Thunderbird or some other mail client other than Outlook). That way you can do what you described using Outlook but you'll be affecting the mail folders directly in the server instead of the mail messages you have already downloaded into Outlook :lol:

IMAP allows you to view the items directly on the server instead of downloading them to your computer first before reading them. This is useful if you work for a corporation and might change where you sit often or in your case where you have a ton of mail you want to remove before downloading it to your computer.

Thanks Raul and Rob,

You made my life much easier with an IMAPed Mozilla configuration! (SquireMail does quite cut it.)

My wife is using an iMAC with O/S 9.1. Does Thuderbird work with that OS? If not, is there something along the lines of Thunderbird she could use? -- SquirrelMail isn't doing the job for her either.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, Thunderbird should have done that automatically for you. But if it didn't (which must be the case, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this :)), try the link Rob suggested, it explains you how to do it :D

By the way, the reason I recommended Thunderbird is because you'll no longer be vulnerable to all those hundreds of Outlook / Outlook Express viruses :)

If you use Internet Explorer and would like to try a different browser experience (faster, no pop-ups, no pop-up blockers necessary, no viruses getting into your computer, etc) try Mozilla Firefox ;)

I must peek in to ask a question since lots of this has been in my head for a while...

Firefox = Broswer

Thunderbird = Email

Why not use Mozilla 1.x which have a browser and email client that is not M$?

I mean why make 2 installations when you can have 2 in 1?

Is there a migration path for moving MS Outlook folders/messages over to Thunderbird?

Thanks!

You may want to help out the Thunderbird community

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/006152.html

Thomas, I use Firefox and Thunderbird separately. I tried the Mozilla suite but much prefer the flexibility and extendibility of having Firefox and Thunderbird rather than the suite ! A good example is looking @ the themes and extensions available (taken from update.mozilla.org)

Mozilla Suite

Extensions: 49

Themes: 0

Firefox

Extensions: 131

Themes: 36

Thunderbird

Extensions: 24

Themes: 1

Plus Firefox and Thunderbird are going to be replacing the suite soon !

I'm kind of screwed at the moment:

When I installed Thunderbird using IMAP, my ports got screwed up in the process and now I can't send email using either Thunderbird or Outlook because I apparently no longer have the correct settings:

Error Message says:

"Please verify that your SMTP Server setting is correct and try again.

From Thunderbird "Account Settings" screen:

TCH Server Settings:

-- Server Name: "mail.biom.net

-- Port 143 (default)

Outgoing Server (SMTP)

-- Server name: mail.earthlink.net

-- Port 25 (default)

On my end I don't know what to change to get things working again : (

Can you help me get back to where I was (POP) so I can send mail again using

Outlook. I REALLY NEED TO GET THAT FUNCTIONALITY BACK AGAIN ASAP!

THANKS!