Spamassasin Is Letting Lots By

Hi All,

I am owner of BlueZebra.com and a reseller of several domains. I have enjoyed TCH's stability and function overall and really appreciate all the extras we get as resellers such as SPAMAssasin.

As of late it seems a great deal of SPAM is getting through SPAMAssasin even though I have really put the screws down on SPAM by tightening SPAMAssasin's configuration as tightly as I dare.

For a while SPAMAssasin was removing 98% of all SPAM coming into my domains where I have quite a few e-mail accounts. Which showed up for me, for instance as 1-5 messages sneaking through per day compared to about 30-50 per day (24 hr.) now!

Do any of you have any Ideas on how to deal with this?

I have also examined quite a few of the offending messages and have discovered that they are clearly designed to get around SPAMAssasin.

It's to bad we can't set a "Subject" filter with SPAMAssasin to aid in this issue.

Thanks so much for your reply, Sheridan

Sheridan Tinder

BlueZebra.Inc

60 N. Main St. #136

Ashland, OR 97520

sheridan@bluezebra.com

www.bluezebra.com

I, too, have noticed an increase in UCE coming through SA in recent weeks.

I am curious as to how it is happening, and have been tweaking SA to accomodate for this increase. If I find anything, I'll post it here in hopes that it will help you as well.

I am curious as to how it is happening, and have been tweaking SA to accomodate for this increase.

I think it is a global spam thing. We are seeing a proportional increase in spam at work too.

I am curious as to how it is happening, and have been tweaking SA to accomodate for this increase.

I've been examining some of the raw messages that are getting through and they seem to be multi-part encoding email with text first and then HTML. When the message is displayed you only see the HTML content and I think SA is passing them through because the text portion is lowering the hit count.

I could be wrong, but I think this is what's happening.

I hadn't thought to look at that angle... you may very well be right.

It is sad, though, I have a whole address book folder full of abuse and tech contacts for different ISPs and other providers... and I am using it all too often here recently.