Default Permission Settings

jmazz

I'm doing this web thing to learn...like a hobby...so far so good.

Tonight I tried to go onto my forum...it's just another learing tool...and I came up with a whole page of errors in my browser and could not get into the forum!

I did go back to cPanel and I see that there has been a lot of traffic into my admin folder...Now I don't remember what the permissions were to be set at?

Is there a list or page someplace where i can see what the default and recomended settings are and should be? and the settings for permissions of things I might add also.

2nd question

Can i just rebuild the whole forum or reload a new one...I have DLed 2 that I would like to play with?

If you want to take a look it's at onthefareastend.com/forum :D

Thanks for the info...

I'm using phpbb that came with the account.

there has to be a place that has a listing of the default (recomended) settings for all folders....but where is it????

If nobody knows where it could be found...is it possible to get somebody to make one up...it would be easy to do with an FTP program like FTP PRO or FTP Voyager...

when i get squared away...I will do it and post a nice pic or document with the info for others to use.

I am also gonna make a back up of the default setup! :rolleyes:

What I posted above ARE the defaults. I installed the board via cPanel and haven't touched a thing since. All files in all folders are set to 644. All folders in your forum folder are set to 777. The forum folder itself is set to 755.

For real, those are the defaults. I didn't change a thing after install. Or am I missing what you mean by a list of all the permissions?

Lianna

OH! You mean all folders that are in a new account? Not just for phpBB??

Okie. That could be a good add for the helpsite maybe...a list of folders and contents in a new fresh account setup. That's what you're talking about right? Or am I STILL missing it?

:rolleyes:

:P Lianna

Well after banging my head against my desk a few times...I tried to D/L one of my animated files and it was not readable...I had this problem from the start and I thought it was because of the permission settings...

so is this a problem on my end or is something happening when the leave the server????? :D

If somebody would try to D/L this file and see if it animates I could rule out the server and narrow down my prob....tnx....................... the file is here

thanks...please let me know when it gets posted...or can you email me a copy...P L E A S Essssssss hehe B)

I got rid of the file and had to re-upload all of my animated files because none of them worked after D/Ling them? But I think I fixed it now and they work great....crossing my fingers.

mazz@onthefareastend.com

thanks

Wow, what a round about way to get to a problem! We went from wanting to know the default permissions for all files on a new web site to the real problem - which was that your animated gifs were not working - which has (or should have) nothing to do with file permissions.

:-)

You say you got your animated gifs now working - care to identify how you fixed it?

-kw

just to clear up some items.... B)

my files were fine when I ULed them.

they worked for others on this forum.

when the "folder permissions" got messed up...the files became damaged, somehow.

So the first problem was the permissions and i still don't know how they got changed...???? I only became aware of the problem when some of my sigs on other forums stopped animating B)

I got rid of the file and had to re-upload all of my animated files because none of them worked after D/Ling them? But I think I fixed it now and they work great....crossing my fingers.

mazz@onthefareastend.com

thanks

they were coming down as bad animations(non-animating) and I think that something was causing them to become corupted on DLing.

So I really only changed the permission values to what they should have been and now they work fine.

Nope, but it IS on my list of stuff I gotta get done......

Sorry for the delay, been swamped. Something about tax time in the US that brings everyone wanting to upgrade/update/fix and otherwise boost their PC's. ....at least here... So I have my KVM on overload and been a 'reformatting fool' the past couple of weeks. :D Matter of fact, I just ordered over $500 worth of memory yesterday for FED EX overnight delivery!

Anyway, be assured this is on my list and I'll get it asap.

B)