D-link Wireless Media Player

kevan_j

I got mine at Best Buy for $199, but they can be had cheaper online (around $160), of course there is usually shipping to figure in. I bought from BB coz I figured if I didn't like it, I could just take it back, no return shipping hassles, etc.

So far it seems pretty easy to set up. It easliy detected my wireless network, and connecting it was a snap. It updates itself (firmware) really easily. There are a few things that are a little lacking, but might be fixable, either in future firmware releases, or server software releases. Yes, you have to install the D-link Streaming Server software on any machine you want to access media files on. It is easy to install, and doesn't seem to be much of a resource hog, but again, there are a few things about it that need some work. Namely, if you add a file to a 'shared folder' you have to force a re-scan of the folder to let the file be seen immediately by the media player. There may be an auto re-scan built in, but I needed to check things out and didn't want to wait. I will check to see if that feature exists. Also, you can play a slideshow of photos by selecting the folder containing the pictures, and pressing the play button on the remote, BUT.....you can't do the same with MP3 files which is kind of inconsistent.

If you want to play a bunch of MP3 files from different folders, you have to use WinAMP, or some other MP3 player, to create playlists. MusicMatch's AutoDJ feature would be good for creating random playlists of given lengths for this purpose, but I still have to play with that.

Video playback over my Wireless G network was fine. I have an ATI card in my box that has TV capability, so I had recorded some shows as MPG files, and it played them back fine. Had trouble with a AVI file that I generated as a DV quality capture off my camcorder though. Still need to play with video formats I guess....

This mornings effort was a basic 'plug it up and see how it works' session, so more details will follow