Scrolling Divs

natimage

Hi, All.

I'm working on a site where I wanted to make use of a scrolling div on the homepage. It looks ok except for one minor thing...it renders empty space below everything, as if it were leaving space for all that is inside the scrolling div.

You can see what I mean HERE. All the empty space below the main graphic/table should not be there. The main table, which is just a container, is set to 100%. It had previously been set to specific pixel height, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

I've never come across this before, but I'm certainly interested in hearing how to resolve this issue. I have a similar one going on with a site I built, but I think my problem has to do with a broken IE box model because the extra space only shows up in IE.

nat, if you remove the scrollingness of the div then you no longer get the empty space? (if you can do a short test where you remove the content that expands it too far, that'd be great).

Just trying to ascertain if it really is the scrolling div causing it or not. =)

Just a wild guess:

Maybe you should try working with the valign values.

I had some strange experiences with it also.

Secondly maybe add px to all your heights. Now maybe different measurements are used.

Still changed my comment abt three times now so ím not sure either:)

And I'm not an expert also...

Very attractive site! The problem is in your first td element, <td height="915" align="left" valign="top">. On your interior pages, the height is set to 562.

HTH,

Carol

Thank you so much! I was so tired last night! The cell table must have stretched out in Dreamweaver since DW is having problems rendering the scrolling div. I new I didn't have the problem before adding the div...that's why I thought it must be connected! It was...just not the way I thought!!

Anyway...thanks to everyone who checked for me. Now I'm going off to post a question about the guestbook!! :unsure:

I've never come across this before, but I'm certainly interested in hearing how to resolve this issue. I have a similar one going on with a site I built, but I think my problem has to do with a broken IE box model because the extra space only shows up in IE.

I assume this problem is with using a scrolling div? I read something last night in my research that may or may not help. Check this link.

Good luck.

Thanks Tracy, I'll check out the link you supplied. However, I didn't use any scrolling divs in the page at all. You can check it out at http://www.thevillagepantry.com/, if you're interested. Be sure to look at it in both IE and a Mozilla-based browser. You'll see a large amount of excess space at the bottom of the page in IE.

:unsure:

I looked in your css file and noticed that div#body has a min-height declaration. Have you looked into IE problems with this? Seems like in my last attempt to create an all css site, I read something about some problems with this.

It's a pretty big guess...but it's all I'd have to offer for your problem. That's some nice css work, by the way!!

Good luck!

I am currently reading Cascading Style Sheets - The Definative Guide and this is what it says about min-height:

Min-height, min-width, max-height, and max-width are all unsupported by Internet Explorer for Windows.  However you can use Javascript to graft support onto these clients.  See ht*p://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/minmax.html for details.

HTH