Changed Chmod To 666, Can't View My Site

:lol: I am absolute beginner with this and in desperate need of help... Ok, here is my problem. I've tried to install postnuke. It said I need to change CHMOD settings to 666 (wr/wr/wr). Than I uploaded everything to my public_html folder and now when I try to view my site it shows

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /~unblind on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Can ANYONE PLEASE help me with this?

I'll be greatful for any support.

Thanks

RickVZ,

Thanks your advice really helped and I passed that step now...:lol:

You said you just installed PostNuke tonite, may be you can help me with this too? I am stucked on creating database. I've read on other forums that I need to set it manually, so I went to MySQL in Cpanel, created new database called Phoenix, created username and password, added it to database but it still doesn't work... It says:

"Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: Access denied for user: 'elenagran@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/unblind/public_html/post_nuke/html/install/newinstall.php on line 36

Unable to make database"

Can you help me with that? Please?:lol:

The only catch I found with the PostNuke install was getting the database set up correctly. I had to try several things before it worked correctly. You said you created the database Phoenix and added a user to it. Databases created here prepend the TCH user name so Phoenix would become TCHUser_Phoenix (where TCHUser is your user name on TCH.) Same goes for the username attached to the database. Then be sure you just tell the PostNuke installer to add tables not create database and add tables. Good luck with it.

I'm having a similar problem with chmod, although I'm not using PostNuke. I've been writing my own database program, and need to be able to create and write to flat files within a directory. I changed the permissions on the folder to "666" and am now no longer able to view it through my browser. To complicate matters, when I try to change the permissions back within SmartFTP I get booted from my session, and when I try to change the permissions within the cpanel FileManager, they just set to "660" which is what they are apparently at now.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I got the programs that I was using to update my files confused.

When I connect via HTML-Kit (it includes ftp), I get the errors "TP > 550 articles: Permission denied" and "FTP - Could not change the directory. (893)"

Smart-FTP gives me the error "550 /public_html/articles: Permission denied" when I attempt to chmod. The file layout on the left hand side shows the "articles" as an icon with an exclamation mark over the folder.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the error page I get through IE looks like this:

You don't have permission to access /articles on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I tried to duplicate your problem by creating a directory called articles. i chmodded it to 660. and then chmodded it back to 777 with no difficulty :angry:

maybe there's a far off chance that smartftp has cached your dir list with something old. press F5 to refresh the public_html dir listing and try it again..

other than that, i don't see why you've lost control of that directory. try duplicating the problem with a new directory :)

note: if the Owner doesn't have Execute access, I don't think you can change into that directory via FTP