Sign in to follow this  
TCH-Thomas

Windows, Windows In The Box...

It seems to be picking on Micro$oft products here, so lets start a little survey (in lack of words). ;)

What is the weirdest, most stupid, strangest thing your windows-machine has ever done by itself? :blink:

To start it I can tell what happened to me just minutes ago...

I use Cutesite builder (CSB) to build my sites as many of you know.

In CSB, there is a preview option that opens your default browser so you can preview what you done.

I clicked the preview option but no Internet explorer opens. Instead windows installer starts and wants to install my webcam. :whip:

So, whats the weirdest thing your windows has done? ;)

Hiya Thomas. Does a 'hanging app' count as weird? When I used IE as my default browser, it hung alot. :blink:

---------------------------

Santolina

I regurally loose my Intelemouse (optical) settings...I have it set up that the Scroll button will CLOSE the window but XP Pro sometimes looses the setting and defaults to the Auto scroll feature. I go into mouse settings and the Close window is selected and then I close it a gain and all is well for the next couple of days....just a little inconvienent...but

youneverknow

About two or three times a day, windows installer comes up and installs my HP Printer/Scanner. It goes through the install, and is successful. A little bit later, there it goes again...

Hiya Thomas. Does a 'hanging app' count as weird?

Actually, Microsoft has made this a standard feature now. It comes bundled with all versions of Windows.

One day last month I tried starting Windows Media Player but there was no sound. After checking all settings everything was correct, so then I went into "Windows mode" (just start clicking everything until I get results - good or bad).

Much to my bewilderment, after selecting 'mute all' and then deselecting it the sound started working!? I now have to do this everytime I want to listen to music.

Select mute and then deselect it... weird.

Hiya Thomas. Does a 'hanging app' count as weird?

Actually, Microsoft has made this a standard feature now. It comes bundled with all versions of Windows.

:lol:

My fiancee's family computer loses the HP printer install after a couple hours, then you have to manually reinstall it again.

I have two printers installed. I can only print with the Epson once.... then I have to restart in order to print again. Also, if I have used either printer, I often (but not always) get a message that something is preventing my computer from entering the standby mode. Or, if I'm trying to shut down, I have to click "end now" a bunch of times. Grrrrr. Mad!!!

Hiya Thomas. Does a 'hanging app' count as weird? When I used IE as my default browser, it hung alot. ;)

---------------------------

Santolina

jandafields answered that very well (Thanks Jana). Its a standard thing these days, so it doesnt count. :lol:

Well, my Windows installation had several features before I stopped using it.

The most peculiar one was that after an update (through Windows Update), Mozilla started behaving very strangely - when I'd open a web page, it would take around 3 seconds for the darn thing to become responsive again. If I'd open a new tab, it would also take about 3 seconds before it responded to mouse clicks and key strokes.

No other software was affected by this and when I had to reinstall Dreamweaver, it went back to normal.

Another neat thing was that everytime Windows started, it opened up the mouse driver settings window (the MS Intellimouse stuff). I deleted every startup command that could be starting it up but no good. I *uninstalled* the drivers but it still started up everytime Windows started. Suddenly, one day it stopped.

Another neat Windows feature, which I think is also a "standard feature" :lol: is the fact that Windows destroys itself and forces you to reinstall it every 6 months, give or take a couple of weeks. It eats up hard drive space and I could never find out how it was being used and it also messes up the registry so badly, it's impossible to recover. It then comes to a point where it's impossible to free up more disk space and to fix the registry mess and the only way out is to reinstall Windows :lol:

By the way, here's an interesting link. Can't remeber exactly where I found it but it's an interesting reading:

http://www.techuser.net/index.php?id=47

Mozilla started behaving very strangely

MS found out that they had a competitor so they needed to do something about it, so they told Mozilla to get weird. :lol:

The weirdest thing my MS-Windows did was run for more than a day without crashing.

:lol:

*ducks all the incoming flames*

Yea yea, windows isn't that bad, buy ya left the door wide open! :lol:

The weirdest thing my MS-Windows did was run for more than a day without crashing.

Something's definately wrong. You better contact MS. They won't be happy with that weird behavior.

I wonder when my current Windows install was made... I seem to be in the group of reinstalls every so often...

I wonder when my current Windows install was made... I seem to be in the group of reinstalls every so often...

Are you asking "When did you last install Windows?"

or "When was Windows version X released from MS?"

The stupidest thing eh ? Well I was just reading all my blogs subscriptions in good ol' Feeddemon, suddenly the computer just shuts down. I reboot and Windows says:

"Keyboard Error, press any key to continue"

:)

Are you asking "When did you last install Windows?"

or "When was Windows version X released from MS?"

I'm wondering when I reinstalled XP. lol...