Access Logs

Nobunaga

How are your log files accumulated and rotated?

For example, with each new day, is a new log file created, and at the end of a week, are all 7 rolled into a weekly log file? And when are the files compressed?

Do the log files contain referrer info?

Can I transfer the files directly to my PC using a client FTP or do I need to use your control panel?

Hi, Nobunaga!

I am just a member here, but I think I can answer your questions.

The log files are accumulated on near-continuous (at least daily) basis, grouped into files by month. The current month's file continues to grow as the month wears on.

The files are all compressed. You can save old (previous month's) files on your server or rotate them out. Your option.

You can download the log files via CPanel or FTP them manually.

The logs have referer info.

-- Dave

Thanks for the response Dave!

Would I be able to write a cron-job that creates daily log files, and resets (empties) the current log, rather than accumulating one big monthly file? (On a daily basis my log files can range between 1-3 meg. Since I process the log files on my PC daily, transferring and processing one big logfile would waste time and bandwidth.)

Hmmm. Good questions. Maybe a TCH Guru could hop in...

Anyway, I am not sure about deleting the file when you are done downloading. It might work, it might not. I don't know if your "personal" log file need to be there for the daily Awstats run or whether (probably more likely) it just sifts out your domain from the server-wide log file. It's a CPanel thing.

I haven't heard of anyone deleting their current log file.

My most recent log file for the month is about 660KB on the server (compressed) and it expands to 11.3MB when on my home computer, so the compresion is pretty tight on these plain text files.

But I understand it would be would be faster to analyze only the most recent logs on your local machine.

-- Dave

"But I understand it would be would be faster to analyze only the most recent logs on your local machine."

Exactly. If I had to work with a log file containing 3 weeks of data, it'd be close to 50/60 meg during my site's busy months.

"Anyway, I am not sure about deleting the file when you are done downloading. It might work, it might not."

If allowed, I'd delete the file and recreate it.

Hopefully, one of the tech guys can let me know what's permitted.

Thanks again, Dave!

"By the way, we are not ignoring you, I personally am not sure about deleting it. Regular staff should be along shortly to provide an answer."

No problem. Thanks for letting me know. I'll check back tomorrow.

"Judging by the username are you a gamer or a fan of a daimyo during the Sengoku period in Japan?"

*LOL* The lattter, I guess. I was just stumped to come-up with a user name. ;)

I've dabbled with this a bit.

I made a php script that can be run via cron to save daily log files. This works for all days of the month except the 30th and the 31st. I managed to solve that too, via a helpdesk ticket. PM me for details.

The log files really won't be that big, unless 1-3 megs are COMPRESSED.

Check out my script here. Click on the smiley:

Thumbs Up

It can be done. You can set it up to save your logs every day into a file. The logs are rotated after the stats run each day. You can access them using ftp. If you go to the FTP section in Cpanel there are links to the logs at the bottom. You can either set it up in Cpanel to save each day through the month or not. They will be deleted after the stats run if you don't set it up to save them.

Thanks for the response, Annie. It sounds like it'd be easier for me to use logrotate (a unix/linux log rotation utility). However, after reading TCH-Rob's response, it sounds like I might not even need that, ie., I might be able to save and rotate them through CPanel.