Sign in to follow this  
natimage

Music On Website

You know how you start learning something new, and you go through that phase where you know just enough to feel like a complete moron???? Well...I'm there right now. :(

I'm designing a site that will need to offer music samples. No matter my opinion on Microsoft......I would probably prefer to stick with using WMA files for right now. Just because most people have Windows Media Player readily available.

That having been said...if there's anyone out there willing to get me started on this...that would be great! I just want to link to clips of the songs. If it's a simple link, I can handle that. Then I need to know how to go about creating a music clip from a whole song. But if it is not a simple link, I guess I need more help!

Thanks.

I've always used a plain hyperlink -- the same type I'd use if I were offering a file for download. Your users' computers should recognize the .wma format and offer to play it immediately or download.

To create a music clip from an entire song, I think you'll need an audio editing software program. My husband has one that he bought a few years back called Adobe Audition, and he seems to like it. But if I'm not mistaken, that's a rather expensive program. He bought it because of his old DJ business. You might try searching for a freeware or shareware audio editing program if you only need it for a few music clips.

Hi Tracy.

I used Adobe Audtion's free trial, and I too liked it. But as Kasey says, it's quite expensive.

I have since been using Audacity (free), which you can find at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. Not as full of bells and whistles, but so far it does everything I've needed.

Hope it helps

Jim

Thanks to you both! I'm going to check out Audacity right now!!!

Audacity is a mighty good tool, I use the Linux version and it's great.

Also, Tracy, consider a non-proprietary format, like Vorbis. Everything is free, the players (Winamp plays OGG), the encoders, the codec itself... and it's higher quality than WMA and MP3 :)

Audacity supports Vorbis (.ogg extension), so give it a try :lol:

I'll definately look into it, Raul. Thanks!! :)

Ok..I've gotten a slow start on this, but it's a start nonetheless! I've run into some problems though.

1. I downloaded Audacity, but can't for the life of me figure out how to make it open/import the files I have. I've tried on both .cda files and .wma. Do I have to use another program to convert the files before Audacity can work with them?

2. I also downloaded the trial of Adobe Audition...nice program!! I assume, after messing with it a little bit, that I cannot convert to an .ogg file using Audition????

3. I did a little research on Vorbis. Listened to the files. Downloaded winamp. Now my big question is, how do I turn a .cda file into a .ogg file? I downloaded the Vorbis Tools, but don't know what to do with them!!!

Thanks!

Tracy, I don't think Audacity can open WMA or CDA files, so I guess you'll have to use another program to convert those. Unfortunately, I don't know which program to suggest, because I always use OGG files and I don't use Windows anymore. When I still used Windows, there used to be a darn good audio editing program, called Cool Edit.

As for Adobe Audition, I don't know, I didn't even knew Adobe had a sound editing software package :D

Now for the last question, I don't know the .CDS format but I'd recommend you use Winamp's Disk Writer plugin (it basically "plays" the music into a disk file instead of playing it through the speakers) to record the file you want as an MP3 and then load it into Audacity. That should work :lol:

Edited by TCH-Raul

Actually Adobe Audition is The Program Formerly Known as Cool Edit :P

Actually Adobe Audition is The Program Formerly Known as Cool Edit :P

That's what I thought...but I wasn't sure. Their help files have nothing concerning the vorbis audio format, though!! I've put the files on using .mp3 format for now! If anyone reads this who has dialup...it'd be great to know exactly how slow it is for you!

Music Page Here

Adobe Audition is the "new" Cool Edit? Cool :P

I didn't know that, thanks, Ty ;)