The Copycats Arrive

DarqFlare

So this is funny stuff. I've been the owner, developer, and operator of "Online Multiplayer Games Network (OMGN)" at http://www.omgn.com/

The name of my site used to be "OMGN: Online Multiplayer Gaming Network."

Notice the changes in bold. Now here's something to take a look at. A new website has opened up online, called "Online Multiplayer Gaming Network" at http://www.ompgn.com/

The extra letter, 'p' in the address, is the 'p' in "Multiplayer."

So this is hilarious. OMGN's never had a copycat website or copycat name online, and now we do. We mean something now, because someone's trying to get traffic based upon our name... You can bet I'll be keeping track of this new website. I mean... If they add any cool new features, I'll just have to incorporate them myself. If they're gonna leech off of my name (Old name anyway), then I'll leech off of their features.

[laughs evilly then looks around confused] :goof:

Well this just stinks! :angry: Shortly after I purchased my darqfire domain, a teenage boy grabbed the name on Geocities and Tripod and proceeded to fill his sites with x-rated pics. I was getting email from people asking why I had such a cute girly domain, and the opposite content on my other 2 sites. LOL

lol...

By any chance do you use darqfire AT hotmail DOT com? I noticed a spam email once addressed to my darqflare AT hotmail DOT com and the other address, I was wondering if that happened to be you.

I plan on buying more Darq stuff, you'd better try to beat me to it. :angry:

I've never used hotmail or yahoo mail, always stuck with domain emails and ISP email addys. The DarqFire on Yahoo is another male, but I don't know who it is. I emailed him once, but he never responded. Is that you? LOL It's fun to share the DARQ stuff so grab what you can! LOL I've got darqfire.com, darqfire.net, and darqfire.org. That's enough for me. I've got a couple others, but most of them are parked with TCH at the moment.

Copycats Trying to Sell

once a guy mailed me, "how about having ur sites name both ways"

i didn't responded recently found that domain is for auction at somesite.

in his 2nd mail, was asking me if i wish to sell mine.

I think existing clients would ask before they signup with mis-spelled domains

My friend tells me that even though I'm using my site name an acronym as unregistered trademarks, I may still be able to claim legal rights to them... Anybody know anything about this?

He said I can claim legal rights to them because I've been using them for nearly 2 years now and that they have become decently known among the gamer population... 100,000 page views per month says that it's been seen a bit, anyway.

You are one to talk about copycats! Your site is obviously a feeble attempt to capture users based on the fame of the company I used to work for. It was at www.mpgn.com and was named "MultiPlayer Games Network". It since has been absorbed by Interactive Magic and evolved (died?) from there.

The one remaining feature, that I know of, is at www.kingdomofdrakkar.com and is an excellent massively multiplayer game that my best friend wrote. If you like RPGs then check it out.

(I was joking about the copycat part but the rest is true. MPGN was around in the late 80's through mid 90's)

Wow, I didn't know that Jim. Interesting stuff! OMGN's only been live online since November 11, 2003.

I did email the OMPGN owner (His GMail address, it popped up in his unpublished forums location when they had an error when I visited) and request him to change his name. If he doesn't feel like it, then I guess I'll look into my legal rights.