Dumb Question

D. J.

Hi all,

This may earn me the mouthbreather of the month award, but I'm clueless.

One of my clients wants a guestbook on her site. I see TCH offers a simple and an advanced guestbook and I have a couple questions.

First, what's the difference between them?

Secondly, the simple one looks, well, simple enough. I'm assuming you take that code and put it somewhere. But where?

Is there a tutorial on installing these? I've never had a guestbook because I've known so many people who've had trouble with them disappearing, losing posts, etc.

:)

To create a guestbook:

1. Click on the Simple Guestbook link in the CGI Center area.

2. Copy and paste the HTML code at the bottom of the page to your web page. Feel free to alter the appearance of the form - as long as all the fields are available, the script will still work correctly.

This is the minimum you need to do to get the script working - upload the file, and you're finished. Refer to Modifying the guestbook template if you need to customize the appearance of the guestbook.

3. Upload the finished HTML page to test the script.

At the bottom of your cPanel there is a link called "Documentation". Click it and it will open to a window split left and right. In the right pane click the + next to "How do I use CPanel?". Click the + next to "CGI Center" and then click "Guestbook to see how to use it.

The simple guestbook will require you do do some html coding to use it.

Try installing the advanced guestbook for your self from cpanel

be sure to follow the link when it is installed to change the admin name and password (default name and password is displayed for you)

You will find it easy to use and in tthe admin page you can make some changes to the colors.

Hi Guys! And thanks for the response.

Okay, on this lady's site, I have a graphic icon that says "sign my guestbook."

Is this where I add the code at the bottom of the "simple guestbook" page? (I'm assuming that). Then I upload the new page (or just edit the html file in cpanel).

Warning - Next I'll get into "view my guestbook."

:hug:

Okay, on this lady's site, I have a graphic icon that says "sign my guestbook."

Is this where I add the code at the bottom of the "simple guestbook" page?

If you want the area where they fill out the information just below the graphic then yes. If you want them to click the graphic then you would make it a link and put the code in a blank page. You can edit in cPanel if you like or upload the page fresh, matters not.