Dept. Of Homeland Security Says To Stop Using Ie

borfast

Keep me in mind that moving away from IE does not mean that you are safe ... the other browsers have their own security holes ... it's just that they have not yet been compromised or publicized.

-kw

But aren't alternative browsers inherently safer since most of IE's weaknesses center around ActiveX, which other browsers don't support? No matter how many security patches Microsoft releases, ActiveX can still destroy your system or steal your data. The only way to prevent it from potentially harming you is to disable ActiveX, thereby limiting IE's functionality. Then there's the Browser Helper Object extension which has unrestricted freedom to download, run, and install programs or applets without your permission or knowledge.

But aren't alternative browsers inherently safer since most of IE's weaknesses center around ActiveX, which other browsers don't support?

Remember, there is more than one way to skin your neighbor. A hole or expliot is still an exploit and can be used to damage systems. We have no idea what can be done with the browsers we are using that arent IE because there isnt anyone focusing on it. Only time will tell if we are any safer for using another product.

To be honest, I believe that we are indeed safer with another browser because MS has given us enough proof of their effectivness when it comes to correcting bugs in their software.

Besides, if you go with Mozilla, you'll use an Open Source browser and, just like Jim said in another thread, this means that any bug discovered will be patched in record time.

But let's be honest here: the problem with IE is not only MS being slow releasing patches. IMHO, the biggest problem are the users. The unknowing users and the stubborn users.

The unknowing users don't update their systems because they don't know they need to do it and the stubborn users don't update their systems because they think that's stuff for computer geeks and "normal" people don't do that because only geeks would worry about such insignificant stuff.

So perhaps the real solution is not to use Open Source software or non-MS software but to educate people. I've been saying this for years and now that we're all paying the price of anyone and everyone having a computer connected to the internet (spam and viruses constantly invading our mailboxes), I believe it should really exist a law that forces people to learn how to use a computer before they're allowed to buy or use one, just as it is with driving licenses and cars.

Edited by TCH-Raul

I dont know how it is in the rest of the world, but here it has for the last year been a huge thing in the papers when a new virus etc is found. The result is that more and more common people actually takes these security holes and viruses more serious. The companies and government is another thing. Just a week ago a huge governmental departments whole system just poof...gone. Ok, they had backups, but it took them days to get all back to normal. Why did it poof? Because they had old os:es, not too well updated virusprotection etc. The virus that made them poof was sasser, which arrived to the world a while ago if I remember correct.

To be honest, I believe that we are indeed safer with another browser because MS has given us enough proof of their effectivness when it comes to correcting bugs in their software.
I was going to respond to this remark until I read this;

IMHO, the biggest problem are the users.

We arent any safer, it matters not if an update is made if one doesnt apply the patch. I think unknowing may be a bit better term than ignorant, though they mean the same thing tha latter has a bit of a negative connotation towards it.

It all boils down to the fact that no software out there is going to be foolproof and secure enough that a security issue will not arise from it. I still cant say you are safer using another product, just that it is less likely to happen.

Do you want to be standing in a thunderstorm holding a lightning rod (IE) or in your home on the phone talking to family (other browser)? Both cary the posibility of getting struck it is just one advertizes itself to the charge better than the other.

I think unknowing may be a bit better term than ignorant, though they mean the same thing tha latter has a bit of a negative connotation towards it.
Yes, you're right, Rob. I didn't think of any better word because I was in a hurry. I edited my post accordingly.

Thomas, here in Portugal the government never had big problems with computers - at least not that I know of. But they're still a bunch of ignorants. They still make decisions that make my jaw drop to the floor, the still pay huge ammounts of money for custom software that could have been made by a fraction of the cost they paid... it's a sad country... the only good things are the beaches and nature :unsure:

I think unknowing may be a bit better term than ignorant, though they mean the same thing tha latter has a bit of a negative connotation towards it.
Yes, you're right, Rob. I didn't think of any better word because I was in a hurry. I edited my post accordingly.

Thomas, here in Portugal the government never had big problems with computers - at least not that I know of. But they're still a bunch of ignorants. They still make decisions that make my jaw drop to the floor, the still pay huge ammounts of money for custom software that could have been made by a fraction of the cost they paid... it's a sad country... the only good things are the beaches and nature :unsure:

Raul,

I didnt mean to have you edit your post. I also agree with everything you say to an extent but I fully believe that if the world was run by Linux and not MS the same thing would be happening. And I think all of our governments are the same, we all have our jaws hit the floor over their actions. I have never been out of my country so I can not compare it to any other but I am betting many of us are in the same boat.

I know you didn't mean to have me edit my post, Rob but I did it so that no one would feel offended about the "ignorant" thing, because that was not my intention at all but it could happen :unsure:

And yes, I also agree that there would be viruses and lots of nasty stuff for Linux (or any other OS) if it "ruled" the world. I just think that we're better with Linux (or Open Source software) because of the way they treat security.

As for the country, yes, I know Portugal is not the only country ruled by morons but I know a lot of people around the world, most of them have been in Portugal, some even lived here for quite some time and, while they all also have bad things to say about their countries, most of them (especially the ones who lived here for some time) agree that the way Portugal is being governed makes no sense and just demonstrates that our government is stupid.

Even worst: most Portuguese people are stupid, their heads filled with old ideas and prejudice, they stopped in time and didn't evolve...

Fortunately, that kind of people is becoming extinct but it's still a long way before this country can be a decent country.