How Do I Use The Spam Box?

Can someone please explain this better?

I do not understand what they mean by "You can create a "new" e-mail account that has precisely the same settings as your e-mail account, but add: "/spam" to the end of the e-mail account user name. This will retrieve only your Spam Box mail"

How do I use the Spam Box?

You can turn your spam box enable and disable from the same page as Spam Assassin. It's just that easy! With the recent upgrades to cPanel, the TotalChoice Hosting team has been paying more attention to the users of Spam Assassin.

In the previous build you would need to use a imap client to get to your spam box.

Well not anymore. You can create a "new" e-mail account that has precisely the same settings as your e-mail account, but add: "/spam" to the end of the e-mail account user name. This will retrieve only your Spam Box mail.

In order for this to be useful, you will want to set up your e-mail client to deliver this Spam Box mail to a special folder (perhaps called spam?) automatically.

Dennis

Also can somone explain in detail the following:

1. Box Trapper

2. Spam Box

If I understand correctly Spam Assassin is server side filter that will filter ALL email addresses at **** ? And then depending on my settings will either rename the subject and send the mail to the correct mailbox or if I turn on Spam Box it will deliver all SPAM to some hidden mailbox?

This is where I am confused what is Spam Box? Where is it? Do I need to create a mailbox spam@**** for the spam box to work?

If I wanted all SPAM to be delivered to each mailbox that it belongs to what do I do? If I have all spam delivered to one place like spam box how do I look at it?

Dennis

You can take a look at this page for how some of us use Spam Assassin. It's been working very well for me at least.

Box Trapper is a feature of cPanel Pro which is not installed on the servers.

Spam Box, I don't know I have mine turned off.

Bruce,

Thanks for the info, I have seen that post many times as it seems everyone refers to it. But before I just go copy someone else I want to make sure I completely understand how this all works. Plus I use IMAP which gives me easy access to subscribing to the spam box folder.

I found out that Box Trapper traps all emails and forces the sender to respond to a verification email before they can send email directly to you. I was told by Rick that this feature is not installed on the TCH servers. Not sure I would want to use it though as it would be such a pain the I AM A SPAMMER for people trying to reach me.

Does anyone use the email filter inside squirrelmail? Or is it a waste if you are already using spam assassin?

Also Spam Assassin only filters email sent to mailboxs created on your domain. For all emails that you forward out no filtering happens. I was wondering if there is a way to filter even emails you forward?

And lastly for now is there any server side virus filtering that we have access to setting up in similar fashion to Spam Assassin?

Dennis

Also Spam Assassin only filters email sent to mailboxs created on your domain. For all emails that you forward out no filtering happens. I was wondering if there is a way to filter even emails you forward?

As far as I know it filters all email coming in. I could be wrong on this but I hav a couple of forwards and their Spam went down when I turned on Spam Assassin.

And lastly for now is there any server side virus filtering that we have access to setting up in similar fashion to Spam Assassin?

There is no server side virus filtering at this time. And since it would be a huge resource hog I don't see one anytime soon.

My helpdesk ticket was answered by Rick and he believed that Spam Assassin does not filter emails that are forwarded.

But then again he also said Box Trapper was not installed on the servers at TCH, which I just verified is not true. Box Trapper is working just fine.

Just teasing you rick :o but yes Box Trapper is installed and working. I still probably wont use it but good to know it is installed and working.

So can someone verify for sure if Spam Assassin filters emails that are forwarded using the forwards feature in cpanel???

Pretty please?

Dennis

Okay, don't know how to verify it or not. But here is the SA address and you could search there to see if you can find any info about it.

http://www.spamassassin.org/index.html

As for Box Trapper the last time I tried it in my cPanel it was not active. And it was asked about previously and we were told it wasn't installed. So I never tried it again.

Actually I don't think that's what I said. :dance: <Digs through notes>

> What is BoxTrapper and how does it fit into all of this?

"Boxtrapper protects your inbox from spam by forcing all people not on your white list to reply to a verifcation email before they can send mail to you." That is the description they give. I haven't messed with it and don't like to have to opt in to send someone an email. It is a fairly new feature in Cpanel and I have not had time to look at it.

It is not installed on all servers and is not on the one I use so that would explain why I haven't played with it yet. :lol:

will take a look at that url, I just finished testing Box Trapper and it is working now. Not sure when it was turned on but I just tried for the first time today and it worked great.

Sort of like caller ID blocking in that the sender has to verify themselves one time to be allowed through. After that they go through without needing to validate.

Problem is I think hotmail and some other free email services block NDRs, or maybe it is just a reply from Box Trapper, just a guess.

Dennis

Box Trapper is a feature of cPanel Pro which is not installed on the servers.

Spam Box, I don't know I have mine turned off.

Rick you are correct. My bad, it was Bruce who said that. I owe you one now :dance:

Dennis

• 6 months later...

With respect to the BoxTrapper discussion...

I found it in my cPanel and turned it on. :D It is a bit tedious to setup, but it provides a valuable function for my personal domain name email account. I have several email accounts (as most of us do these days):

-My primary email through my ISP (Earthlink), which has a webmail SPAM blocking feature and Outlook Express plugin.

-My freebie accounts (GMail, etc.), most of these now have some kind of SPAM blocking built-in.

-My domain name email through TCH, which does not have a webmail SPAM utility :angry:

Since our webmail clients through TCH do not have a SPAM blocking utility, that leaves us with either SpamAssassin or BoxTrapper to use with our domain name email. Having setup BoxTrapper, I have found it to be a very valuable addition to the war on SPAM. So, I for one, hope it stays around :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just enabled Spam Assassin and the Spam Box. How do you use Horde to access the Spam Box? Which account/password do you use?

How do I use the Spam Box?

You can turn your spam box enable and disable from the same page as Spam Assassin. It's just that easy! With the recent upgrades to cPanel, the TotalChoice Hosting team has been paying more attention to the users of Spam Assassin.

In the previous build you would need to use a imap client to get to your spam box.

Well not anymore. You can create a "new" e-mail account that has precisely the same settings as your e-mail account, but add: "/spam" to the end of the e-mail account user name. This will retrieve only your Spam Box mail.

In order for this to be useful, you will want to set up your e-mail client to deliver this Spam Box mail to a special folder (perhaps called spam?) automatically.

Dennis