Sign in to follow this  
Noctorum

Converting A Png To A Gif

I have a transparent PNG that I'd like to keep as a PNG, but the transparency won't show up in IE.

So I have two questions...

1.) Is there anyway to overcome the transparency issue?

2.) When I try to convert it to a GIF in Photoshop, the image quality is greatly reduced. Is there a better way to convert it, or is there a option to change? It becomes transparent, but the edges get jagged.

Thanks,

~Alex

Edit: Heres an example of what I mean,

http://www.blindedsilence.net/indexGIF.html

http://www.blindedsilence.net/indexPNG.html

Well...the images look exactly the same to me. I can't see any jaggedness...maybe that's because I'm using Mozilla.

But...try using the EXACT setting for gif and see what you get.

Also png is a much better format and that has much more detail for a simmialr file size. Not to mention alpha transparancy.

If you need it there is a ie hack to get it working properly with transparent png's.

um no there is a good hack but the one from list apart is better than nothing. There is a better one by yougpup.

Ah, you didn't link to it that I saw. I went and searched google - for ease of use for those interesed, this seems to be the hack that is being referred to.

the "A List Part" article has step by step instructions in implementing it, but I haven't really worked with either option so beyond that I'm not able to give further instructions. But that site is usually fairly straightforward. =)