Sign in to follow this  
wbragg17

Backing Up Database Using Phpmyadmin

I've tried searching, and this may be an obvious question, but I want to make sure that I do it correctly.

I would like to backup my databases (of my blog). I assume that I use phpMyAdmin, and I was thinking that I would use 'export'. But once I get to that screen I'm a bit lost.

I would (again) assume that I would 'select all' regarding the data, but I am not sure about the steps from that point on. In what format would I export?

I would like to be able to backup my web log database more frequently as that is the core of my blog & site rather than a full site backup. But I want to make sure that I do it properly so if anything ever happened, I could restore everything. Most of the other parts of my site I have a local copy on my computer anyways.

Please feel free to treat me like an 'idiot' in your response java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:') as the more detailed you are the more comfortable I will be.

Thanks for your consideration. I hope that I posted this question in the correct area.

As far as my system goes, I uses a Mac 17" powerbook.

William :goof:

Look in your cPanel for an icon that says backup or under Site Management a link that says backup. Once there you will have an option of backing up your database. Look for "Download a MySQL Database Backup" and under it should be a list of databases you can back up. Select the db and it will prompt you to save it to your local hard drive.