Multiple Domain Names?

Dmourning

I am quite new at all this so here goes - I currently have a single domain name and hosting (starter package) through TCH.

Someone I know wants me to put together a page for a club of thiers and I wish to do this through TCH also. The original page I have with TCH uses little bandwidth and the page I will be making will use little bandwidth as well.

Is there a way to combine the hosting for the two domain names or will I have to register the hosting separate? How would I do this?

Thanks

If you have two completely separate domains, you will either have to have two accounts or a reseller package.

Or you could create the club's page on a subdomain of your domain (club.******) but it would still have your domain's name in it.

Or you could create the club's page on a subdomain of your domain (club.******) but it would still have your domain's name in it.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't do this either. If it is a totally seperate site from your own, it will have to have it's own account. You cannot host two distinct and seperate sites on the same account, even as a sub-domain.

That's my understanding anyway...I'm sure someone will let you know if I'm wrong.

In the meantime, you can read the AUP for further clarification.

Doesn't that kind of go againt the whole idea of "Total Choice?" My current webhost isn't the greatest, but there I can at least have multiple sites on the same account, and I actually have a subdomain site there that has a domain pointing to it that works perfectly.

What's the huge problem with letting people have multiple sites on one account, anyway? If a person pays for their webspace, shouldn't they have some amount of freedom, or, say, choice about what they do?

Sorry, guys, I was strongly considering switching to you, because of the junk I have to put up with with my current provider, but, even their sometimes bad service is better than constrictions like this.

This has been discussed several times in the forums, a quick search of the forms and you can see this.

If a person pays for their webspace, shouldn't they have some amount of freedom, or, say, choice about what they do?

On a shared server you are limited to your choices as you have neighbors that are on the same server as you. You do have a choice to get a resellers plan or a dedicated server. A part of total choice you seem to be missing as the choice to not host here as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see you here but this is value hosting we are talking about and some rules have to be set. This happens to be one of those rules, if we let you point a domain at it then what keeps you from selling that space to others? There are reasons behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see you here but this is value hosting we are talking about and some rules have to be set. This happens to be one of those rules, if we let you point a domain at it then what keeps you from selling that space to others? There are reasons behind it.

I thought about one thing not long ago...

You have several registrars (for domain) which allow to redirect domains to a subdomains

ie: ****

can be redirected to http:/www.yourfreehomepage.com/yourusername/

and the user in typing **** is redirected in a frame to http:/www.yourfreehomepage.com/yourusername/ so the user is never ever aware that the website is hosted on a free host.

So let's say someone does it and redirect a domain to a subfolder on its TCH account... what happen?

Will you allow that? or do you close the account for going against TOS?

Ludo, just curious :dance:

It sounds to me like that is what is covered by the TOS

' You may not point a separate domain name at a sub-domain. "

This is the quote from Bill

"

"Your subdomains are allowed to be used for any legal purpose. You may not sell the subdomain space to others, nor may you point other domain names to your subfolders. Sub-domains may not be used to host other domains""

Edited by TCH-Don

What's the huge problem with letting people have multiple sites on one account, anyway?

There is absolutely no problem with letting you have multiple sites on one account - I have 6 on mine - it's called a reseller account.

Consider this: If TCH allows 10 accounts per server (nor a real number - just an example) and you and 9 others are on there then we have a full server. Now, what happens when you redirect 20 other domains into your one huge account? Not only do you have bandwidth and disk space limits but there are server performance issues.

As it is, TCH balances us all on a bunch of servers to keep everything fast. If you redirect all those sites into the one account then TCH has no way to know "Hey, we have enough accounts we need to set up new servers!" If this were allowed then it could be that you'd have 2 or 3 times the normal amount of domains on a server and performance would be out of control.

Best wishes on finding a host that suits your needs, especially if you're looking for one that's fast AND allows unlimited redirects.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, to be honest, I'm quite content with what I currently have on TCH. I'm looking in to the reseller accounts because our company is growing rapidly (and that's partly thanks to TCH as well). I just have one question: if I were to sign up for a reseller account, how many per se, would I be allowed to have on my server?

• 3 weeks later...
As it is, TCH balances us all on a bunch of servers to keep everything fast. If you redirect all those sites into the one account then TCH has no way to know "Hey, we have enough accounts we need to set up new servers!" If this were allowed then it could be that you'd have 2 or 3 times the normal amount of domains on a server and performance would be out of control

I must disagree here. You can have one site that's very busy and utilises all of the bandwidth / diskspace allocated and another one that's hardly using a fraction of it. If somebody has 3 different domains they are managing, but all are really small - say few pages each, and hardly ever people visit it ? All they need is a small package with multi-domain support, and still they wouldn't be utilising their allocated bandwidth.

That's the point of having the bandwidth restriction and disk space allocation. Isn't it ? There's not necessarily a correlation between number of domains and performance / utilisation.

TCH should (and probably does) monitor the performance and try to 'spread out' the heavy accounts across different hosts in any case, whether these heavy ones are running one domain or not.

IMHO TCH should offer this as a an 'addon' service at a reasonable extra cost, or alternatively give discount to people buying more than one domain (but still not enough to justify a reseller package).

IMHO TCH should offer this as a an 'addon' service at a reasonable extra cost, or alternatively give discount to people buying more than one domain (but still not enough to justify a reseller package).

This is me speaking personally and has nothing to do with TCH. I am a customer not an employee of TCH. That said, I have a simple question for everyone wanting to host multiple domains for $4/mo.

Come on, how much cheaper do you want it to go? I came from a web host that charged $29/mo for a single domain. I purchased a $5/mo account here and have more bandwidth and disk space than I had for $29/mo.

The smallest reseller account is $20/mo and you can host as many domains as will fit into the alloted space and bandwidth. If $20/mo is to much to spend and you have only 3 domains then purchase 3 $4/mo or $5/mo plans.

If $4 or $5 a month isn't resonable I don't know what is.

The simple fact of the matter is policies are policies, rules are rules etc. This topic has been brought up numerous times and our policies have not changed. This is the way TotalChoice chooses to operate.

You cant please everyone and we do not try to, totalchoice is a "budget" hosting service, if you need more features that we do not provide, and have stated over and over that we do not provide, totalchoice is not the host for you.

The features/functionality you get for $4/mo is awesome.

TCH must have an awesome business model to be able to

provide the services that they provide at these low prices.

I am currently on the $4/mo plan to test out TCH before I

upgrade to a reseller account and bring over my domains.

The level of service they provide for only $4 is outstanding.

$20/mo for 16GB of transfers and all the domains you want.

That is a great deal. Slap some banner ads on a site or two

and it can more than cover the costs for all of the websites.

• 2 weeks later...