Gmail Invite

annie

I went and checked out my Blogger login again and didn't see anything. :D Can someone send me an invitation or something? :) If you need my email address give me a PM and I'll give it to ya. Thanks so much! :dance:

I got my Gmail Invite through Blogger back around the end of April. It stayed visible on my log-in page for about a month and then disappeared. Then it came back and signed up.

I've had mine for a while, but probably less than a year. Could be due to how active you are too?

I'm not so sure about that. The last entry in the blogs I had in blogger was in February of 2003. :)

I'm sure Google's method of selection is as unpredictable as their search engine. I asked Google about offering Gmail to Adsense users and I recieved several replies including an automated reply.

From: Gmail Team [gmail-support@google.com]Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:33 PM

To: **********

Subject: Re: [#11097448] Other

Hello,

As part of its mission to organize the world's information to make it universally accessible and useful, Google is testing an email product called 'Gmail.'

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept additional test participants at this time. We look forward to announcing a general release of this service. Because Gmail is in a limited test period, we cannot currently share more details about when Gmail will be made widely available. Please note that we are not able to reserve usernames for future use. For more information about Gmail, and to sign up for further updates, please visit: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html.

We hope you enjoy Google's approach to email.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team

I would like to have one, I don't want to be the only geek without it, but I will not go to any trouble to get one. If I never recieve an invite then I will just wait until the public release.

Gmail sounds like a good service, but the best thing to come out of it will be the improvements that others make to their service(e.g. Yahoo).

Hi,

Just after the yahoo mail upgrade, i noticed yesterday a major upgarde in India's Leading E-mail Service Rediff Mail

which offers multilingual e-mail composition Has Upgraded all account and offers 1GB of storage space.

If only storage is important, this FREE service has been first which offers so much SPACE.

Ah but the selling strength of Gmail is that it uses Google's search engine technology to quickly find an email you are looking for. Imagine having to look by hand for that blasted email from whatnot.com with your password in it! :lol:

They also have the labeling thing so you can attach multiple labels to an email to organize them.

Another cool thing is that emails "stack" up together so you can follow a whole conversation back and forth under one heading in your mailbox.

It's not only about 1Gb but that's impressive that the others are offering larger stuff now. Who says competition is a bad thing!

post-33-1087651773_thumb.jpg

Today's (6/21) New York Times Technology section has an interesting article regarding the advertising that comes with the emails. They sent some test emails and the results ranged from pertinent to rude to funny. There are a lot of constraints and considerations.... negativity filters, family-friendly ads, ads from competing companies on emails from a business, problems with applying definitions to synonymns.... I personally can't see this working.

Where do I find the gmail invites? I've got my account, and I'm wondering if I can send invites to some of my friends. Can't figure out where those invites are, though.

EDIT: Never mind. According to the help page, those invitations turn up now and then, and when they're not in my inbox, I can't send out any. I guess it's just a matter of looking for them when they come!

Annie, talking to yourself again? :lol:

Shhh, Thomas! When she does that, we're supposed to be vewy vewy quiet...... she's thinkin'...... her wheels are turnin'..... :P

So Dick, did you get yours? No longer the only geek without one?

I recieved an invite yesterday from one of my TCH friends. :hug: As soon as I get some invites I'll share the love around here. I'm trying my best to fill it up by fowarding my junkmail, but its so much space.

I'm curious... I know a lot of my friends are with Yahoo! and Hotmail... Do you guys think that gmail will become as popular as Yahoo! and Hotmail, or are they jumping into the game too late?

I know they almost have me sold... :lol:

Eric

Personally, I'll be using Gmail for really big files people want to send me. I'll use Yahoo as an extra account for regular mail, because it has Wap. Gmail doesn't.

And Gmail is also very useful for stuff that is repetitive, like output from cron jobs, unless you /dev/null it. If you send that to regular mail accounts it stacks up, but on Gmail it threads!

And Gmail is also very useful for stuff that is repetitive, like output from cron jobs, unless you /dev/null it. If you send that to regular mail accounts it stacks up, but on Gmail it threads!

Just keep in mind gmail isn't exactly the most private email system in the world. If your cron jobs contain any sensitive information (such as account names and passwords or the like), having them sent to gmail may not be the wisest choice. :lol:

Just keep in mind gmail isn't exactly the most private email system in the world. If your cron jobs contain any sensitive information (such as account names and passwords or the like), having them sent to gmail may not be the wisest choice. :lol:

Are any of them?

Not unless you own the server and you are the only one with the password and you encrypt everything and you only send email to yourself... oh yeah, and you're not hooked up to the internet. :lol:

Not unless you own the server and you are the only one with the password and you encrypt everything and you only send email to yourself... oh yeah, and you're not hooked up to the internet. 

Well, that would work...

To your point, MikeJ, is the site gmail-is-too-creepy.com which raises some very legitimate concerns. On the other hand, Tim O'Reilly, founder of the famous O'Reilly & Associates publishing company has equally good points at www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

If I was running drugs or something I certainly wouldn't use Gmail! As it is I figure there is no significant risk.

Go figure :rolleyes:

Edited by TCH-Jim

gmail is no less safer than the others...

besides I was a victim of identity theft.

if someone wants it they are going to get it.....

though if you want safety there always is carrier pigeon.

TTT!

Dang, been a while since someone posted about Gmail... What's everyone thinking about it?

Personally, I'm about 95% sure I want to use Gmail exclusively... The only problem is I have my old email printed on about 1000 business cards... :unsure: I just love it. Some of the "conversations" get messed up though...

Gmail & Rock Sign :blink:

I've been using the program Mike linked to for checking my gmail and it works great! There's also something called Pop Goes the Gmail, which is supposed to allow you to check your gmail through pop3. Here's the link to check it out.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=169789

I haven't tried it so I have no idea how well it works. The gtray app Mike suggested works fine for me.

By the way... I have a gmail invite available if someone still needs a gmail account.

Ven

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do I have to start randomly PMing invites to you people? :(

For the all new customers of TCH, if you don't have access to the Family Only Forums then send a PM to a staff member to get the password.

I want one, but I don't have access to the Family Only Forum ... Help ?