Starter Plan + Domain Name Registration

jarsac

Hi all,

I'm interested in signing up for a Starter Plan. I haven't registered a domain name yet.

I'm wondering if when ordering a Starter Plan, a step to register a domain name is available.

Otherwise I understand I will have to register a domain name before signing up for the Starter Plan, no big deal.

Thanks.

You will need to do them separately as they operate off of different systems. One can get either first, I often get the domain name first to make sure it is available but you don't have to. You can register your domain name here and then get your hosting plan here.

Actually a link to get your domain name is included on the page for the hosting plans.

Welcome home. Thumbs Up

That's correct, Rob. Once you select the plan you want, there is a link on the top that says 'Click here to purchase a domain name!'. As Rob said, it would be a good idea to register for a domain first, then order the hosting.

Hi,

I'm in a comparable situation although I've currently registered a domain name with another registrar ;) which is going to expire on 22 july 2004. I would like to transfer my domain name to TCH (with an additionally free extension of one year, if I'm correct). Do I have to transfer my domain on beforehand, i.e. before purchasing a starters / silver plan, or can I do this afterwards as well?

The "problem" is that I would like to prevent that I loose any e-mails during this transfer and that our site is unreachable. For this purpose I will create a single frontpage (at my current web site) informing that our site may be unreachable due to the transfer to a new host as well as a temporary e-mail address where we can be reached for questions etc.

What do you suggest further?

Just for the record (sorry if I'm posing a rather stupid question), but when ordering a hosting plan in this case I have to select the option I will use My Existing Domain and update My Nameservers only and Continue >>>?

Furthermore, I would like to know when my webmail is transfered to TCH. Can I control this myself? i.e. will my current webmail account at the other registrar still continue to work when I purchase a hosting plan? I guess this will indeed be the case until I actually point my nameservers to that of TCH. Is it possible to do the following:

1) purchase a hosting plan

2) keep my current nameservers (and webmail)

3) setup my website at TCH

4) transfer my domain to TCH (which will automatically point my nameservers to that of TCH)

I suspect that after the transfer of my domain name to TCH my TCH webmail account will be activated as well. Is this the case, or can I activate my webmail at TCH at a later time, while my current webmail account is still functioning?

1-4 Yup, as far as i know.

Is this the case, or can I activate my webmail at TCH at a later time, while my current webmail account is still functioning

As soon you have transferred your site/domain to TCH and propagation is finished (24-72 hours) it will all be activated on/through the TCH servers.

Blue guys, Correct me if im wrong.

Actually number 4 is not correct. Transfering the domain registration to us will not change the nameservers you have set. To avoid delays you need to either transfer the domain registration before you are ready to change the nameservers or before you request the transfer. If you transfer it before changing the nameserver you would need to wait until it is transfered to us and then change the nameservers.

Also note that you need to check with the current registrar and be sure you know when you can transfer the domain. It is usually not possible to transfer once you are close to the expiration date. I have seen this limit from a week to a month before expiration. You also may not be able to make any changes to the domain once you request the transfer until it is completed. This process takes from a week to 10 days.

Actually number 4 is not correct. Transfering the domain registration to us will not change the nameservers you have set. To avoid delays you need to either transfer the domain registration before you are ready to change the nameservers or before you request the transfer. If you transfer it before changing the nameserver you would need to wait until it is transfered to us and then change the nameservers.

If I understand it correctly (I'm a bit of a newbie at this ;) ) pointing my nameservers to those of TCH will cause:

- www.**** -> web site at TCH

- anyadress@**** -> webmail at TCH

I can either

option I

- purchase hosting plan at TCH and upload my new web site

- change my nameservers to those of TCH now at my current registrar.

How long will it take for this process to finalise, i.e. before my domain name points to my web site at TCH and my e-mails will arrive at the webmail at TCH?

Will my site be unreachable and what will happen to e-mails that are sent to me@**** during this process?

- after my nameservers have been changed, transfer my domain name to TCH, which is merely a formality since my "new" web site is online and I'm receiving e-mails at the TCH webmail during the 10 days this process will take.

option II

- purchase hosting plan at TCH and upload my new web site

- maintain my current nameservers and thus **** will point to my "old" web site and I will keep receiving e-mails at the webmail of my current registrar.

- transfer my domain name to TCH

Will this transfer affect my "old" web site and the webmail at my current registrar?

Will I still be able to use the webmail at my current registrar after my domain name has been transferred to TCH?

- change my nameservers to those of TCH such that **** will point to my "new" web site at TCH and my e-mail to arrive at the webmail of TCH.

Also in this case I would like to know how long it will take for these changes being processed and if this means that my web site is not reachable during this period of time and whether I can "loose" emails that are sent to me@****

Is the above "reasoning" correct and what option do you recommend?

When I moved to TCH this is what I did. I had my domian hosted elsewhere.

I bought the hosting package and uploaded my site. Then I changed my name servers at the registrar to point here at TCH. Propogation takes between 1 to 3 days sometimes a little longer.

I kept my old site active until I was sure everyone was seeing my site on the TCH servers (after 2 weeks I was satisfied).

I don't use web mail but set my email client to pop mail from both locations using the IP numbers of my account in both places. Once the mail stopped coming into my old account I deleted it and changed my remaining email to point to my domain instead of the IP numbers.

Hope that helps.

They will both continue to work until propogation is completed. You will need to know the IP address to connect to the webmail server for both your existing webmail and your new webmail.

Depending on what DNS server gets looked at when a person sends you a message is going to determine which mail account it's going to arrive to.

Webmail is just a method of accessing your mail account. You could use an email client to pop your mail. Unless your current provider doesn't support pop accounts.

What I did,

bought hosting here

created site here, with slight difference

at old host, removed all e-mail accounts except the default (any@mysite)

forwarded old default to my ISP e-mail

setup a pop3 account on outlook express for here with the IP address / account name

pointed domain to new account here.

So during the propagation (up to 72 hours for all ISP's to update their name servers)

e-mail arriving at old host went to my ISP e-mail

and when e-mail arrived here, I would get it when checking my pop3 here.

So no loss of e-mail

Also after propagation of the web site, you may notice e-mail will lag a few days and still go to old host.

This is normal.

If you have any more questions, please ask

we love to help.

OK, so during propogation e-mails are sent to either my old webmail account or my new TCH webmail account depending on what DNS server is looked at when the e-mail is sent. However it is possible to receive email from both accounts at my new TCH webmail account if I forward my old default account any@**** to my new TCH webmail account.

If I understand it correctly, I will need to know the IP-adress of my new TCH webmail account in order to create this forward in my old webmail account. Do I obtain this IP-adres when purchasing my hosting plan, or do I have to look this up elsewhere?

PS: thanks for the great help over here :huh:

Only thing I would like to know whether option I or option II (see above) is recommended, i.e. change the nameservers at my current registrar and afterwards transfer the domain to TCH, or transfer the domain to TCH and then change the nameservers.

BTW: I just checked with my current registrar that it is possible to transfer the domain as long as the proces is "complete" before my domain registration expires, which is on 22 July 2004. As this proces normaly takes about one weak to 10 days (as I've read above) I guess there's still enough time left to proceede without renewing my registration at my current registrar.

Get your account here, upload all of your files and make a small change to your index page so you can tell the difference and then change the nameservers at your current registrar and afterwards transfer the domain to TCH.

And yes, you still have time to accomplish this.

I just bought a hosting plan at TCH yesterday, so I guess this makes me part of the TCH family as well and I'm not sure whether to continue this topic in the pre-sales section :dance:

Things seem to be fine and I will be uploading my web site pretty soon before I will point my nameservers at my current domain name registrar to those of TCH. Afterwards I will transfer the domain name as well.

In the mean time I can acces my new web site at a temporay location http://ipaddress/~myusername/. I am also able to access my webmail account (Horde) and can even sent e-mails via the outgoing mailserver. At this moment all e-mails to anything@**** are handled by the webmail (Horde) at my current registrar (as the nameservers of my domain are not pointed to TCH yet). I would like to know whether there is a way to forward e-mails from my old (but still working) e-mail account to my new one at TCH. If this is possible I would like to know to what address I should forward is since username@ipaddress doesn't seem to work.