Sorry for swearing in a family-forum  :shutup:

ROFLMAO!

Thomas!!!

You better CYA ASAP!

CYA = cover your (butt)

ASAP = as soon as possible

Edited by TCH-Bruce

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

ID10T = IDIOT. Used this one alot when I worked support. My boss: "What was wrong with the VP's computer?" Me: "It was just an ID-10-T error" No one knew what we were talking about LOL

TANSTAAFL

What does that mean?

BMG = Be My Guest

It's short for "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." :rolleyes:

IAW=In accordance with. An old military abbreviation that should be all too familiar to any veterans here.

TANSTAAFL

What does that mean?

BMG = Be My Guest

IAW=In accordance with. An old military abbreviation that should be all too familiar to any veterans here.

Oh, okay, thanks.

BTA = But Then Again

TANSTAAFL

What does that mean?

BMG = Be My Guest

Oh, okay, thanks.

BTA = But Then Again

This isn't the Abbreviation Game--it's the Nested Quote Game.

Anyway: SNAFU=Situation Normal All [Fouled] Up. (From Joseph Heller's Catch-22, which, incidentally, was originally to be titled Catch-18.)

TANSTAAFL

What does that mean?

BMG = Be My Guest

Oh, okay, thanks.

BTA = But Then Again

This isn't the Abbreviation Game--it's the Nested Quote Game.

Anyway: SNAFU=Situation Normal All [Fouled] Up. (From Joseph Heller's Catch-22, which, incidentally, was originally to be titled Catch-18.)

LOL :P.

CFN = Ciao for now.

Actually, I think that's usually taken as an abbreviation for "Keep It Short, Stupid" or occasionally "Keep It Short and Sweet," but I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat.

KGB=Komitet Gosudarstvenoye Bezopastnosti or Committee for State Security.

Actually, I think that's usually taken as an abbreviation for "Keep It Short, Stupid" or occasionally "Keep It Short and Sweet," but I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat.

Yup, you're right. One of my teachers made that up, LOL.

CID = Consider it done.

Time Out...

I am curious what we can and can not write in these places since its apparently ok to write c**p, h**l (but in correct typing) in other places without them getting edited out, when a abbreviation may need a word of above mention to be what it originally was.

And yes, i was choosing between acronyms and abbreviations but did not find a good description of acronym so i knew which i wanted.

Time out is over...

Thomas,

Remember we have some young people that frequent these forums. As result if in doubt then don't. Use your better judgment, I try to use language that I would use in front of YOUR children or your grandmother, not the language I may use in front of mine. ;)

If you are talking about the "F word" there is no place for that here and if you see it PM me and I will change it. If it is A** then it is borderline, I dont have an issue with it but others may. Some of depends on the context maybe. I dont have all the answers on this one. Heck, I dont give a c**p if you scratch your a** all the way to h**l ;) but others may object to the use of carp, art and heal together in a sentance.

Best bet is not to use them if you dont need to.

(SMLAG

Seems More Like an Acronym Game)

And yes, you're correct. Most of what we're posting here are acronyms, not abbreviations -- but it's okay!

Actually, all are abbreviations.

An acronym is a word formed from the initials or partial abbreviations of the words in a phrase. An example is my earlier entry, CINCPACFLT (pronounced sink-pack-fleet). Note that every acronym is an abbreviation, but not every abbreviation is an acronym.

Another example: UNREP = Underway Replenishment = the bane of the sailors of the seven seas.

AARP

American Association of Retired Persons

Got my welcome letter last week... *gasp*

ISI = Inter-Services Intelligence (the Pakistani equivalent of the CIA and one of the architects and leading sponsors of the Taliban movement).

FBLA = Future Business Leaders of America

Is that what it stands for? I was wondering. ;)

FIDE = Federation International d'Echecs = World Chess Federation.