Cgi Script Problem - Now I'm Suspended

thewordlist

Okay. Either I screwed up or someone abused one of my scripts. Either way, I'm suspended. I don't have a problem with that, in general. No one wants anyone to hog the server resources. That said, I submitted a help desk ticket and got a response within 20 minutes. Excellent! Just what I expect from TCH. Took me an hour to respond to the response (had to make dinner for my family). However, it has now been three hours and no second response. I feel this is too long to wait for a response, any kind of non-automated response. Am I being too impatient? :)

I've unsuspended your site. I'm pretty sure it was the new stats program you were trying to run.

Sr. techs have been busy with server 26 for the last several hours so that's probably why you haven't received an answer to your ticket.

I used to run a stats program on my old server. That worked at the start of the month, but it soon started timing out. At first I couldn't figure it out, but then I realized how resource hungry it was. I moved the program to a Linux box at home, and with a P100 it took over an hour to process my month long log file!

So yes, the wrong stats program can cripple a server, and should not be run in a shared environment.

I still miss that program (haven't used it in a while), because it gave a breakdown of referrers for EACH page on my site!

Found it. This is the one:

h*tp://awsd.com/scripts/weblog/index.shtml

Do NOT run this on TCH!

But it's a great script if you want that level of information on your site. Just make sure you set up an old machine, say with Red Hat at home.

BTW, my old Linux box is a P100 and has way too small hard drive. I don't even bother running it anymore. And I don't have another machine I could set up like this, I'm using all of them for windows.

Do you know of any way I could set up Linux temporarily on a windows machine in order to run THIS program? That's basically the only thing I really want a linux box for these days. Do you think Bochs would be a good solution?

And guys, this is why I think that script is so good. The referrer report:

h*tp://awsd.com/scripts/log.refs.shtml

Do you know of any way I could set up Linux temporarily on a windows machine in order to run THIS program?

Well you already said that you had a small hard drive and that will not help. But what I would do is either get a larger HD or a second HD and run a dualboot.