Spelling Polices?

Boojum

I know this is a fairly picayune thing to call attention to, but as a longtime editor and copy editor, I tend to notice errors.

Near the top of your main index page, the second topic listed is "TotalChoice Web Hosting Polices." And I can't help wondering who these polices really are. If they're the Spelling Polices, someone here may be in trouble.

Edited by TCH-Dick

Hmm. Now I'm guilty of my own spelling error—this time in the topic title.

Which apparently can't be edited.

Arrgh!

Spelling errors cannot be made by robots, so therefore Bill cannot be a robot. lol

Computers and robots only do what they are told to. Computers and robots are built and programmed by humans. :lol:

Spelling errors cannot be made by robots, so therefore Bill cannot be a robot. lol

Computers and robots only do what they are told to. Computers and robots are built and programmed by humans. :lol:

Therein lies the problem. Human error.

Thank god computers can't think for themselves...

Thank god computers can't think for themselves...

That's where you're wrong. I myself, never make a mistake. Yet my computer and stuff are always messing up. Hence the computer must of made a concious decision to screw with me...

Hence the computer must of made a concious decision to screw with me...

My computer is always deleting letters on me too.

Other times, it decides, spontaneously yet compulsively, to change Aptos into Patos, Capitola into Captiola and Watsonville into Watsovnille. (You can probably guess how much fun that was while I was editing for the Capitola Courier and the Aptos Times.) It has also described, more times than I like to recall, the occupation of farmers as agrigulture.

Computers and robots only do what they are told to. Computers and robots are built and programmed by humans. :P

And again, the Simpsons save the day:

Homer: Linguo... dead?

Linguo: Linguo is dead! <bzzzzzz....click>

Okay, maybe it doesn't fit. But it's pretty good.

Why not?

Most bad spellers, it seems, live right here in the good old Untied Stakes of Amiracle.

Isn't that right, Mr. Quayle?

And by the way, what century did Quayle live in?*

=====================================

* Former Vice President J. Danforth Quayle was asked about the Holocaust by a reporter. Quayle donned an appropriately somber look and replied that it was "a very dark episode in our nation's history."

Upon being reminded/informed that the Holocaust had not happened in the U.S., Quayle hurried to set everything to rights by pointing out: "I meant in the history of this century. We all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."