Speedup Adobe Acrobat Reader!

KevinW

I came across this quick little VB utility that moves infrequently used Adobe Reader plugins to an 'optional' directory, thus speeding up the time it takes for Adobe Reader to startup!

It works with virtually all versions past and present of Adobe Reader.

Check it out here:

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

-kw

Edited by TCH-Kevin

Just realize that if you do this, you will lose some functionality. Not common functionality, but functionality nonetheless. The only time I've run into issues is if you've got a PDF that has fields in it that you'd like to fill out - clicking checkboxes or whatever. The appropriate plugins are no longer installed when you perform this surgery. Not a big deal by any means. Just something to think about. ;)

I thought you needed Acrobat for that not only the reader.

I don't think that's the case, but then I've had Acrobat installed for so long, I just don't know if it is or not. I know of at least a couple of times that I've seen PDFs with form fields on them for filling out the data, and I can't imagine that they'd be for the general public, who couldn't be expected to have Acrobat installed in most cases. But IANAL. ;)

in response to Jayseae, all I can say is that their readme file was very explicit as to cause and effect of running the Adobe Reader Speedup utility, and also how to re-establish certain add-ins.

Any utility that makes changes to your system should be taken cautiously. I would always advise to make a backup copy of your windows registry, or if on XP, make sure your system restore is turned on.

-kw