Anyone Use The Bat! Email Program?

Deverill

Hey everyone!

I just ran across The Bat! email program from RITLabs and it is very interesting in that it has facilities to set up templates for default, specific folders, individual users, etc. It also has a lot of features that seem to be pretty useful as far as filtering, antivirus scanning, etc. I'm a computer geek in the truest sense of the word so I love all the customizable dooglemaflitchers and advanced whozit settings.

I have also seen articles that the makers rip off people by making a bug-fix and calling it a new version that they have to pay for an upgrade to get.

I am using Thunderbird and love it but since I am also running a business, posing as 3 of my clients in things web related, receiving emails for over 5 entities and getting the infernal spam from every angle I thought this would be worth checking into.

So, if anyone has any pleasant experiences or horror stories about this program I'd like to hear them.

Smart girl - a graphic for the address. Can't very well reap that with a spambot!

My main problem is that one of my clients is a fishing charter boat captain and when I get him listed on "Cool places to fish" type directories they almost always post his address in plain text or as a mailto: so I have to rely on the filters for him. On my sites where I can control it I always use a javascript snippet that resolves the address on the user's computer instead of at the server. Most spambots aren't sophisticated enough to be able to read that yet.

How about having two addresses for him?

One that's his real address that he'll read first, and then the second for listings.

I've got one for Yahoo groups. Thought that one would catch a lot of spam, but found out it didn't. As far as I can tell, my own site is the worst for attracting spam. Which is why I've gotten so tough on it. But notice that I've got a form for those who are really clueless. BTW, I will probably need to change to that PHP form script. Got lots of attempts at misusing the script today. And get this: They were ALL from different IP numbers, and had tried using different subject lines. But the addresses were going down the alphabet.... Because of the way the script is configured, their attempt didn't work, but it's still irritating me.

So, if anyone has any pleasant experiences or horror stories about this program I'd like to hear them.

I registered the Bat and used it for about two years, but grew frustrated with the rather slow pace of development. This in itself wasn't enough to make me drop it, but as I added more email accounts it became rather cumbersome, since the Bat does not put emails from all accounts into a common inbox. So, I had over a dozen accounts in the account tree, each with their own folder groups.

Also, although the program has some of the best mail filtering I've ever used, again it became cumbersome since each account has its own set of filter rules. There's no way to implement a common ruleset for all accounts, although newer builds allow you to "copy and paste" filters from one account to another. Still not an ideal method, though.

Another sore point for some users is its rather weak html support. v2.0 improves both rendering and the native html editor, but it's still got a long way to go.

I still maintain an unofficial support forum for Bat users - Click here. It's a good place to read things both pro and con about the program. (Ritlabs' "official" Bat support forum suddenly vanished after being deployed with much fanfare late last year)

Currently I use Pocomail. Its filtering is excellent - among other things you can selectively strip html from incoming messages, and it has Bayesian filtering built in to catch more spam. You can also turn off images and scripting in the preview so as to avoid web bugs and other baddies.

Thanks for the input from everyone on this. I hate to commit to a program without asking, especially one as potentially disruptive as email. You guys are the best! :heart

I have been using the Bat almost since its creation. From time to time I tried other mail clients, just out of curiosity, but never found any even close to the Bat in terms of useful features and reliability (I am still on the same message database since 1996 or so, with many thousands of messages, never lost anything, and searches are still very quick even on a relatively slow computer).

It is true that the basic structure of the software hasn't chnaged much since its creation, but over the years they added many features which one gets to discover only after some digging.

So far, there were only two major releases. All the minor releases were free. Ver. 2 isn't very different from ver. 1, although it does include several useful enhacemnets.

The only disadvatage I see in the Bat is that it still does not support non-left-to-right text well. As a writer of Hebrew, this is at times limiting. Other than that, it is definitely the best e-mail client I have ever seen, by far.