Folder Quota

TheNark

While your plans offer plenty of web space to host what I need, it is not limitless. I have giving some friends of mine FTP access to my web server but I wish there was a way I could cover my back and make sure that they don't use up all my disc space. If there was a tool to set a limit on folder sizes then all my problems would be solved, but there is no tool to do so. This would not be very hard for TCH to do, and it would be incredibly useful to me.

Sorry,

there is nothing in cpanel to limit the space used in an ftp account

on a shared hosting account.

For that you would need a reseller acount, where you can limit the space used by an individual.

And yes you need to watch that your friends do not fill up your space.

Bummer!

Mine does....

Oh wait, there's a way to bypass it, if it's just that they're blocking that port number. Just configure the server to use other IP numbers. But of course, if I had to do that I'd get into trouble with my firewall...

Understood. We have some of those here too. Although when I talked to them, they said they'd only cut me off if there were complaints. And that would be complaints from the likes of RIAA or other copyright problems. And since I never give out passwords to anyone but people I know, and keep accounts within certain boundaries, I don't expect problems. I've had many probes, but they give up when there's no anonymous access.

But the problem with giving friends access to FTP accounts on webhosts would be that they might be tempted to shift movies on there. Very bad form, to say the least!

With a private FTP server on your own machine, you could simply keep a close eye on uploads, and kick users if they fall out of line! And also make sure uploads can't be accessed by other users without your intervention. It's doable!

Oh, and about finding this place. The two shall never meet, I'm sure. Hosting your own webserver is something else entirely than running a private FTP server. I simply turn the machine OFF when I feel like it, and those wanting to use the FTP server will simply wait until I turn it on again, snicker!

I'd rather keep my website on a professional server than on my own machine, shudder!

To TheNark (original poster)

As Don say

And yes you need to watch that your friends do not fill up your space.

Dont forget to have lots of space to make full backups on a regular basis.

That way you could (as the owner of this webspace) simply check whats in their "private" folders and you could simply delete those files that is too much.

If they miss it and gets mad at you, you could easily give the the files back.

Also, make sure they do not upload anything that would be violating the TCH-rules.

Too...Make sure they are not registering their own domain names to use on your account (that would be violation of the TCH-rules)

NOTE: These are only my thoughts on this, wait for either a blue or red guy to confirm this.

Edited by Jikrantz