Hello everyone -
I'm building a site in which I want to install "regional" sections, wherein users from particular regions would be able to have a section devoted to them (aka atlanta.mysite.com, twincities.mysite.com, etc.)
Some of the things I desire:
1) each section must be independent, but retain the main site's header and style, appearance, whatever. That's the easy part.
2) the software must be simple enough to be managed by a novice. I don't consider php-Nuke to be simple enough.
3) More than just a bulletin board, it should have sections unto itself, i.e. links, downloads, calendar.
4) free to use
5) i'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, as long as it will be easy for someone else to manage in the long run.
6) obviously, the installation can't involve executing a command-line script on the server.
Some stuff i tried and don't think is right for this:
phpwcms - too complicated
phpnuke - nice, but not easy enough, too content-rich and buggy
invisionboard, phpbb - both slick, but i don't want the sites to be forums, per se.
i appreciate any suggestions, whether helpful or devastating.