5 replies to this topic

#1 boxturt

boxturt

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

I was recently advised that my site may be serving duplicate content /running in parallel.

Your website without www doesn't redirect to www (or the opposite).

How can I tell if the site is resolving properly? :tchrocks:

Thanks!
- Ty

Guitar Lessons in Connecticut

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

#2 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

They both tracert to the same IP address and both serve the same content so I would assume it's resolving correctly.

Is that what you are referring to? Or do you want when ever someone enters the www. for it to be stripped? Or vice versa?

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#3 OJB

OJB

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I think the issue is that search engines will see hxxp://www.****** and hxxp://****** as 2 distinct entities, but both showing the same content.

There are 2 things you can do:

1) Modify your .htaccess file to route traffic to one or the other, the most common way of doing this is rewriting non-www urls to www.

2) Specify your canonical URL. Basically if you can retrieve the same content via 2 or more URLs, then you should specify which the search engines should take as being, essentially, the primary URL and therefore ignore the others. Have a read here: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html

#4 boxturt

boxturt

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

I put a unique test file in my WWW folder only.
I am able to access it with or without the WWW prefix.
So...... what, if anything, does that mean?
- Ty

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

#5 TCH-Dick

TCH-Dick

General Manager

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

I put a unique test file in my WWW folder only.
I am able to access it with or without the WWW prefix.
So...... what, if anything, does that mean?

On our servers the directory for the sub domain www is just a symlink to public_html by default, so they should serve the same content. The best thing to if you are concerned about duplicate content is what OJB recommended and rewrite non-www urls to www. I personally prefer to do it the other way and rewrite www to non-www urls, either one will work.

Dick DeVance
General Manager
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc
dick@totalchoicehosting.com

Posted Image

#6 boxturt

boxturt

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

ok, thanks!
- Ty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users