3 replies to this topic

#1 salguod

salguod

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

I want to change over to IMAP for all of my email accounts, but I want to understand about backing up my mail first. If I remember correctly, TCH backs up each server twice daily. I assume that includes any emails stored on the server as well, correct?

Of course, ultimately it is my responsibility to back up my own site and email, not rely on TCH. How would I do that if I'm using IMAP? Where is the mail stored? I use dbsender to automate my blog database backups, is there a way to automate backing up my email?

Lastly, anything, settings wise, that I shold know about using IMAP with my TCH accounts (I'll be using Thunderbird as my email client).
salguod
salguod.net

#2 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

The email is stored under your account just as it is for POP mail. It just stays on the server and you access it via a different protocol. I use both POP and IMAP on the same accounts. I access my mailbox from mobile devices using IMAP and POP it to my desktop.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#3 salguod

salguod

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I understand the difference between the protocols, my question is more about data back up. Since with POP3, my email client pulls the mail from the TCH server and it then resides on my PC. Now it is clearly my responsibility to manage and backup. With IMAP, the email will reside and stay on the TCH server, I will simply view it from my PC or phone. Now TCH has a nice backup policy for their servers (twice daily if I remember right), but it is still my responsibility to maintain backups, right? What I'm curious about is what is the best way to do that. Manually via FTP (if so, where is it stored?) or is there an automated way to back up my mail?

This may be a moot point as I'm seriously considering just to Google Apps and then the data will be stored on Google's server, but I'd still like to know the best way to back up my mail.
salguod
salguod.net

#4 TCH-Bala

TCH-Bala

Technical Support Manager

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

We have two backup options ::
1) Weekly backup to secondary disk on the same server. You can access this by logging into cPanel and then navigating to the Files -> Backup section.
2) Offline backup to our remote server taken twice everyday with 7 day retention. 7 x 2 = 14 backup snapshots. This is available via by cPanel -> R1Soft link.
These will have all the files of your account at the time backup ran, ie emails on the server, databases, web pages etc.

You can also take backups of your account anytime you feel using the cPanel -> Backup option which will be saved to your home directory on the server and then can be downloaded to your local system via FTP. I would recommend taking the full backup option here.

So you do have multiple backups options at your disposal. But it is always a good practice to keep your own copy of your files from time to time. :clapping:
Balakrishnan
Manager - Technical Support
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

TCH Help Desk .. || .. TCH Blog

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users