We are now in the process of updating all shared/reseller to PHP 5.2.14, however, there are some major changes being made to our setup. The primary change being that we are migrating our PHP Handler setup from DSO to SuPHP for added security and to make the use of PHP more user friendly.
So what does all this mean for you?
- PHP scripts will no longer be ran or owned by the user "nobody", you will now own all of your files and those created by your scripts.
- File & Folder Permissions are now easier to work with and more secure. You no longer need to have directories or files set to 777 and there is maximum supported permission of 755.
- Any scripts that require 777 should use 755 instead.
- Generally, set folders to 755.
- Generally, set files to 644.
php_value and php_flag options no longer work in .htaccess filesNO! While this is standard for SuPHP, we found it to be an unacceptable compromise and have implemented an additional option to allow continued use of these options. To use these options they must be enclosed in the <IfModule php_config> </IfModule> container element.
php_value register_globals 0
We plan to complete these updates by the end of the month, however, there are no specific dates set per server. Since the downtime will minimal or not all, we will announce each update in the appropriate server thread once completed.
As with any server updates, we do expect a small of amount of accounts to have issues. We will do all we can to mitigate any issues, but should they occur we will be here to assist and correct.
Thanks your for time and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.