Newbie Guidance: Establishing Message Board/forum

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guestwen_shopGuest

Guestwen_shopGuest
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi - been a member of a very small (<50 member) online community for years - always had free hosting sites. Hacking, infections, spam, ads, etc. have all been issues. And they keep shutting down. I want to initiate the move to paid hosting here with a free forum software package. (That's what I know so far from reading).

I am computer-aware and technology savvy - but I am not a developer. What will I absolutely need to do - if I had punBB or phpBB for example, they mention that I need a database - does that mean I have to buy licenses for another piece of software? Is that a DB on my platform or hosted on the forum site? Am I completely off base?

Basically I want to just plunk my credit card down and pay $44, download a package and just figure it out. But I am just ignorant enough of the specifics to be worried that there are more requirements than that.

Help?

#2 OJB

OJB

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

You will be able to use MySQL here, which is a free open-source database, so there is no extra license fee. Here at TCH they offer a one-click install of the SMF forum software (again free). So all you would need to do is:

Buy your domain
Buy your hosting (You can do both here at TCH if you wish to combine them)
Click on Fantastico De Luxe
Scroll down to SMF
Click that and follow the instructions on screen.

No database, programming or technical know-how required. If you ever get stuck you can always pop back here to the forums or contact the help desk for assistance.

#3 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

Everything you find on this page including unlimited databases is what the package comes with.

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

#4 Bob Crabb

Bob Crabb

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

wen_shop,

About 5 years ago, I was in the same situation that you describe. At that time, I was lucky enough to land here at Total Choice Hosting. You are definitely in the right place. Just follow the advice that OJB gave you in the post above, and you'll have your forum online in no time at all, and the only $$ that you will need to pay is for your domain name and basic hosting package.

Welcome to TCH, and good luck with your new site and forum.

#5 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

The forum OJB mentions also has a one-click update feature built into it's administration panel. So when new versions or patches are released it's just one-click to apply those updates.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users