5 replies to this topic

#1 WRAnna

WRAnna

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I am not sure where to ask this question but what are you to do when you try to connect to the server through Dreamweaver as you usually do everyday to update your website and it will not connect and after trying times out and gives this: An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. Dreamweaver could not connect because the server is down or not accepting connections.

Thanks for any help.
Anna

#2 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

That could be a problem anywhere,your computer, between you and the server, or a problem with the server I guess.

Have you done a traceroute? Please do one if possible and post the result here and we can easier see where the problem might be.

What´s the domain? If you give us a link we can see if it works for others.

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

#3 WRAnna

WRAnna

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

On my cpanel it shows I am on a new server called arlington. I do not know when that name came about as I rarely go into the cpanel.

I used the dos promt and typed in tracer arlington.name it tried 30 times and each time gave me Request timed out.

I also notice that when I pull up my webpage nothing has been updated since January 9. My last update prior to today was January 16. www.wswra.org

#4 WRAnna

WRAnna

New To The Neighborhood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

After mentioning the new server name, I went in and checked the current IP in Dreamweaver vs what the cpanel listed as the IP and found them to be completely different. I assume it was changed at some point with the server. Anyway, changed the IP in Dreamweaver and now I can connect.

Thank you for the efforts!

Anna

#5 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

You used to be on Server 11 which has been migrated to the new datacenter. Please be sure to subscribe yourself to the new forum for Arlington so you will be kept aware of issues and other maintenance news.

You should also change Dreamweaver to use your domain name instead of IP address which would eliminate this from happening in the future.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#6 OJB

OJB

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

After mentioning the new server name, I went in and checked the current IP in Dreamweaver vs what the cpanel listed as the IP and found them to be completely different. I assume it was changed at some point with the server. Anyway, changed the IP in Dreamweaver and now I can connect.

Thank you for the efforts!

Anna

Glad you got it working. With the migration to the a new server the IP does change because the server is located in a physically different location...

If you connect to your FTP using:

ftp.yourdomainname.ext (ext being.com .co.uk .net etc etc) then this would resolve to the servers new IP without any change from you...

Edited by OJB, 21 January 2009 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users