8 replies to this topic

#1 bizmo

bizmo

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

I've been working on this for about a week now. Starting with an existing theme, I've been making some modifications (mainly style/colors, etc. but a few other 'under the hood' modifications) to create a site that is mainly a photoblog, but with another page for more text-based blogging. I've still got some work to do, but I figure that I will go ahead and post it here for some constructive criticism and suggestions; I welcome them all! Thanks in advance!!

Epiphany Photos

#2 Lisety

Lisety

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

I really like the colors you used and the general look of the site. That big image of a skink is awesome! The only thing I would suggest is that there's much too much blank space between the heading and the image. In my browser there is almost 5 inches of space. I suggest you move the image or type, depending on which page, up at least 4 1/2 inches.

#3 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

I agree with Lise. The banner image is just too large. Other than that I like the use of colors.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#4 bizmo

bizmo

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the input! Yes, that header is one of the things that I plan on changing. The original banner had an actual image which I didn't care for so I created that gradient, but didn't resize it.

Okay, fixed that little problem and I must say I like that much much better. Thanks again!!

Edited by bizmo, 04 September 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#5 Lisety

Lisety

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Much better!!! A couple of minor things...is it possible for you to center the image of the skink in the black area? I think that would look better but it's a minor detail. The other thing is that "A collection of photos, plus whatever else comes to mind." is a little hard to read. Maybe you could use a different color so there would be more contrast, like white or ? I'd have to see it before I can tell which color would look better. I'm a visual learner:-)

#6 bizmo

bizmo

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

Good idea about the text. As for the centering, I am in the process of trying to figure out the best way to do just that. My goal is to eventually eliminate the sidebar from the main index page (leaving it on the others) so it will look like a more "proper" photo blog.

#7 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Much better. Along with the text color change in the banner there is an issue with "Search" in the lower right corner in your sidebar. The letters are cut off. Is there supposed to be an image there and the alt text is what's cut off? You can fix that by shortening the text area for the search.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#8 bizmo

bizmo

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

Thanks again you two! I've taken care of the header text (much easier to see now) and fixed that Search button ( I thought I had already done that but evidently not). I'm still trying to figure out the centering part. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use conditional tags, so I'm doing some bookwork now. Again, thanks a ton for your input!

#9 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Well that's one solution to the search button ;)

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users