Photo

Spam Relay? Forged Headers? (mail Problem)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joefish

joefish

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Lately I've been getting an unusual amount of bounced e-mails for messages I never sent. In the past 24 hours, there have been about two dozen messages being bounced back to my inbox. The original messages are all classic spam. Cheap prescriptions, black hat SEO, etc. The "original sending address" is always gibberish, something like ayphgs@mydomain .com. They're messages I never sent from addresses that don't exist. The rejecting mail server is always overseas; there are a lot of .jp and .tk domains generating the bounce messages.

So here's my question...

Are these fake bounce messages from spammers trying to trick me into reading their garbage, or are these real bounce messages caused by a spammer forging my domain into their headers?

#2 TCH-Don

TCH-Don

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

I would bet they are bounced emails created by spammers
I have been getting a lot of them in the last few days that appear to be from my domain
but when I look at the headers they are coming from another IP.

#3 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:13 AM

It runs in cycles. You will go months without this happening and then bang! It's a fact of owning a domain name.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#4 joefish

joefish

Family Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

So... nothing to worry about?

#5 TCH-Don

TCH-Don

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:43 AM

There is nothing you can do about it. :)

TCH can see the headers and see it was not you sending the spam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users