#1 borfast

borfast

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

From Slashdot:

Portableapps.com has released Portable OpenOffice.org 2.01 -- the complete office suite you can run from a USB drive for complete access to both your files and your office apps -- anywhere you go. More than just a neat idea, some say it's a perfect example of "the kind of innovation developers can make when they don't have to worry about selling as many licenses of their work as possible." I don't imagine we'll see a portable Microsoft Office suite any time soon.

Sounds pretty cool! Imagine carrying an entire office suite around in a USB pen drive... :)

By the way, their website seems to be down at the moment, probably due to the "slashdot effect".

Edited by borfast, 04 January 2006 - 10:34 AM.

Raul Santos
-=[ http://www.borfast.com ]=-
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do!
Get Firefox!

#2 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

Raul, I have it along with the entire suite of apps that John Haller put together.

Portable Apps Suite Contains: Portable Firefox (web browser), Portable Thunderbird (email client), Portable OpenOffice.org (office suite), Portable AbiWord (word processor), Portable NVU (web editor), Portable Sunbird (calendar & task list), Portable FileZilla (FTP client), Portable Gaim (instant messenger) and will fit on a 256Mb USB thumbdrive.

Works great too.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#3 TCH-Rob

TCH-Rob

Help Desk Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

I should have asked Santa for a bigger thumb drive.

#4 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I went and bought a new 1GB USB 2.0 just to play with the portable apps. You can find them on sale for $60 almost weekly at Best Buy, CompUSA or Circuit City.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#5 TCH-Rob

TCH-Rob

Help Desk Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

Time to go shopping.

#6 wampthing

wampthing

Crazy Uncle Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

I went and got a 1gig cruzer micro to replace my 512, but my wife thought it was cute and took it.

Happy Wife, Happy Life
Dave Jensen (Wampthing)
~I'm not as confused as you think I am... on the other hand, maybe I'm not~

#7 TCH-Don

TCH-Don

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

Well this is fun, I almost filled up my 512 meg jump drive, I still have a 100 meg left.
Thanks for the link Bruce, this will come in handy at work.
Added to PSpad web editor and Xamplite web server, I have it all on a stick :blink:

#8 stevevan

stevevan

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Great link Bruce! Guess I have something that I need to have the office buy for me!
Steve, W4SJV

"When all else fails (and it will)...there's Amateur Radio!"
"It is better to let people THINK you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

#9 TCH-Don

TCH-Don

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

I just used OpenOffice to make a sheet of mini return address labels (Avery 8167)
It was a snap, and Now I can do them anywhere :blink:

#10 borfast

borfast

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

Glad to see those apps are usefull! :blink:
Raul Santos
-=[ http://www.borfast.com ]=-
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do!
Get Firefox!

#11 carbonize

carbonize

Immediate Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

Curious as to why the Portable Suite has both Open Office and a Word Processor? Seems a waste of space to me. All I have on my thumbstick are PSPad, Xammplite, an image optimiser and all my scripts etc. Only place I need to use this is at work but would be pointless for me to carry anything web based (ftp, browser, email) as my works connection is proxid and locked down tighter than a ******'s ****.
Carbonize
Lazarus Guestbook
A SPADE IS A SPADE - I'm here to help people not to win friends or gain popularity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users