8 replies to this topic

#1 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:05 AM

Which file of those on the attached page do I want to download and install? Im so lost with all requirements mentioned on that page.

http://www.hamweather.net/hw3/hw3php/download.shtml

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator
TotalChoice Hosting, Inc.

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.
Web Hosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - 24/7 Help Desk

#2 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:12 AM

Well, do you want PHP or Perl? Flat file or MySQL?

I'd get the .zip version of either.

Edited by TCH-Bruce, 22 June 2004 - 10:13 AM.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#3 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:25 AM

Thats where I am lost Bruce. I dont know what I want. I want a easy one to understand and install.

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator

Any links or suggestions for third party software/sites should be used at your own risk. My opinions and recommendations are not necessary those of TCH and TCH is not responsible.

As a Forum Moderator I can assist in answering many of your hosting related questions. However, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#4 TCH-Rob

TCH-Rob

Help Desk Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:52 AM

As far as I can tell the flat file does not need to access a database where the MySQL version does. Easy for you may be different for me. I would use the MySQL version, the flat file has more text files I think because of the lack of a database. I would get the zip version of either though and PHP over PERL but that is because I feel comfortable working with PHP.

#5 TCH-Bruce

TCH-Bruce

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:55 AM

As Rob says, it's what you feel more comfortable with.

Bruce Richards
Forum Moderator
Webhosting by Total Choice Web Hosting - General Support Forum

I am a Forum Moderator. While I can assist in answering most of your hosting related questions, I am unable to answer questions about specifics relating to your account such as billing and server related issues. Should you need assistance in these areas, please contact our Help Desk or our many other options. Another good place to find answers is with our help pages, tutorials and movie tutorials.

#6 kajoiner

kajoiner

Distant Family

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:46 PM

Thats where I am lost Bruce. I dont know what I want. I want a easy one to understand and install.

I used the PHP version with flat files with no problems. Easy to set up. You need to go with the flat files because the provided file to create the database is to large to upload and install in phpmyadmin. I tried this software, but decided after using it for several months, that I was not getting many looks on it, so I took the link off of the main page. I am planning to delete it, but have not gotten around to it, so some of the templates updates for the main page have not been applied here.

It is still active if you want to see the flat files in action.

http://www.bsatroop9...weather/hw3.php
On my honor, I will do my best,
To do my duty, to God and my country,
To Obey the Scout Law,
To help other people at all times,
To keep myself physically strong,
Mentally awake, and morally straight.

Troop 98

#7 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

You were the one recommending it the first time. Thanks for that Kajoiner. :lol:
I have been working with lots of things lately, but figured i would try this now.

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator

#8 kajoiner

kajoiner

Distant Family

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

I liked the software, but other members of the troop did not (they could not see where that was related to Boy Scouting or to the troop). Since it is the troops site, I have moved on. I would still recommend it. I had it up for about three months without any problems.

Once I figured out which one to use, the installation was easy. I generally prefer databases to flat files, but the database setup file is 12meg and the max you can upload to phpmyadmin is 2meg. I started to set them up manually, but decided it was not worth that much trouble and decided to try the flat files.

If you have any problems, let me know and I will try to help you through it.
On my honor, I will do my best,
To do my duty, to God and my country,
To Obey the Scout Law,
To help other people at all times,
To keep myself physically strong,
Mentally awake, and morally straight.

Troop 98

#9 TCH-Thomas

TCH-Thomas

Volunteer Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Kajoiner. :lol:

Thomas Jikrantz
Forum Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users