Ram

mike

Well folks, I just bought 4 1 gig sticks of ram from ebay and put them in two different computers to up them from 1 gig to 2 gig each and I see some lights on the pc but the monitor on both pc's stays black.

Do I conclude that I purchased 4 sticks of dead ram?

Do I conclude that I purchased 4 sticks of dead ram?

Not likely. Could be a couple things. You bought the wrong type of RAM. Your computer can't access more than a specified amount of RAM and you are way over it. Your OS can only recognize up to specified amount and you've gone over it. Maybe you have not put the cards in completely in BOTH computers and some of the pins are not making contact.

The MSI motherboard book says they can take a maximum of 2 gig. so should be alright there.

They both take ddr and all 4 sticks say they are 1 gig ddr pc 3200r so THAT seems ok.

I have put in and swapped out a lot of ram in my day, but agree that they may not be seated and checked that too.

both boards have 2 slots so I "assume" a 1 gig is good in each since the motherboard says it handles 2 gig.

I find it hard to believe 4 sticks are bad too. It is probably something about the motherboards because we're talking

2 exact same boards having the same problem.

I put one stick at a time in the ddr 1 slot and got the same results. 1 long beep, pause, 1 long beep, nothing.

better check board manual for beep codes

OK, it appears that I have ecc chips and the MSI likes NON-ecc,?? , maybe?

Although there is nothing in the msi book about ecc vs non ecc

Edited by mike

That could be the issue. While motherboards with ECC specs can get away with Non-ECC RAM, the same is not true for boards that are Non-ECC only.

Yeah. I'm starting to think I have 4 1 gig chips of ddr to add to inventory.