Mailing List Tutorial?

ry_shuq

• 5 months later...

We've been using Mailman for our non-profit org as the e-mail alert system. Previously we had 300 members subscribed, and it worked fine. We just acquired about 1200 additional e-mail addresses, and it seems to have sent out to only a few. Is there a maximum limit of names for the system? Do we need to create multiple lists with a mximum number each so it doesn't get bogged down? I noticed that under Membership Management, under Membership List, if you click on the letter "A" for example, it shows 30 names, and the rest are listed below in ranges (ie." aab@123.com through aaz@123.com" ) - pethaps that's a factor?

I e-mailed the developer via www.list.org, but received an automated reply that he doesn't have time to answer most questions - this is URGENT. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

so then mailing lists can be used identically to forwards in as that the email address that people would send to would be the same... just that in forward it looks like tch is sending the mail and in the list it looks like my domain is sending the mail... but both happen automatically in any event... am i understanding this right?

also for something of this magnitude shouldn't it be a little bolder in the sign up for a site faq section? and if what I am detailing here is a work around... then why didnt tech support email me this workaround instead of a no... sorry... aol... can't help you?

dont get me wrong... except for this one unforseen issue... tch is everything I had hoped for... but as you are well aware... this is a big issue...

Just adding my 1.5 cents ....

The Mailman list on TCH hosting for one of my clients had similar issues once it grew in size due to the limits on email at TCH. We resolved this by creating new lists with www.smartgroups.com ... their service is free and their features are unbelievably robust. So if you don't mind the ads in your mailing list, you'll probably be happy using their service.

And, BTW, We still host our web site on TCH simply because TCH is a great host even with the email limitations that caused our large Mailman mailing list to move somewhere else. :P

And, BTW, We still host our web site on TCH simply because TCH is a great host even with the email limitations that caused our large Mailman mailing list to move somewhere else.

thats what is making this so difficult... almost any other host and I would have been gone... no brainer... it almost suprises me that no work around has been developed by tch...

• 3 years later...
Welcome to the forums ry_shuq! :)

I found this tutorial.

HTH

This is now a dead link. I also need a tutorial or at least "How To" configuration info. My needs are setting up a "Broadcast-Only" list where only designated addresses can submit and all others will get rejected (even if subscribed). Looking at the configure menu, I do not see a way to configure this type of filtering unless I am not thinking out of the box. The second list is a more normal one with rejection of non-subscriber messages. That later I see how to do.

Note: I would have posted this into a more appropriate forum but I can not find one to handle Mailing List questions.

• 1 month later...

The emergency option is your stop-all-actions option. Set this to yes if you have a flame war or run-away postings on your list. This will make Mailman hold all mail sent to the list for approval. Set it back to no when the problem has been resolved.

My organization employed this option for our "broadcast" only list. Otherwise, all messages from subscribers were being distributed without prior moderator approval.