Disabled Hotlinks, Following Link In Firefox Vs. Ie

thehighwaystar

Hi -

OK, this is a strange one.

I have set up my TCH site with CPanel to not allow hot linking (but to allow direct requests) to image files. This has been fine for a long while (years).

I usually use the Firefox browser. If someone sends me an email (say, Yahoo email) with a link to a picture on my site, and can right click on it and open up the picture.

If I use IE (IE 7 right now) and try the same thing, I get a Forbidden You don't have permission to access blah blah message. I can directly cut/paste a link into an IE browser window and it works fine.

Anyone have a clue to why the difference? :)

Thanks

Hi thehighwaystar,

I am sorry but I have no answer for you but hang on and someone will.

Please do not bump threads (since it´s against the forum rules), we mods do read every post. Also, we mods do not have the answer to everything. This is a forum where all members help each other, so just hold on, some time it just takes a little time.

As for moving the post, yes we will if we feel it´s not the appropriate forum for the post. If we do, the member will get a message from us stating which post and to where we moved it.

If I use IE (IE 7 right now) and try the same thing, I get a Forbidden You don't have permission to access blah blah message. I can directly cut/paste a link into an IE browser window and it works fine.

I don't understand what you are saying here. If you click a link in email it won't display but if you paste the link in the address bar it does? Is that what you are saying?

Yes, that is correct. To reiterate, if I use the right mouse context menu items Open, Open in New Tab, Open in New Window, then it fails.

I noticed that after it fails, if I place my cursor in the address bar and hit Enter, it resolves fine.

Copy/Paste into the address bar is OK.

Internet Explorer :thumbdown:

Here's an update: I disabled the hotlink protection, and then of course was able to link to the images.

I cycled the setting BACK again to enable hotlink protection, and it now is working correctly.

Not really sure how this fixed it. It needed a little kick? I guess I don't want to know. :thumbdown:

Here's an update: I disabled the hotlink protection, and then of course was able to link to the images.

I cycled the setting BACK again to enable hotlink protection, and it now is working correctly.

Not really sure how this fixed it. It needed a little kick? I guess I don't want to know. B)

Are you sure that it is working correctly, or is it just loading the images from the cache instead?